Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Hello from NH

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from NH

Howdy folks. New member here from NH.

I joined up because I'm seriously considering buying a used Polaris Sportsman 500.

I have been out of the 4wheeler scene since 2005.

The machine I'm looking to buy is a 2002 (Polaris Sportsman 500 w/1200 miles on it). Traditionally I would not buy something this old. However, this machine is owned by an uncle of mine (original owner). Long story short (sort of) I am comfortable that the routine maintenance has been done as needed, and it has been ridden reasonably responsibly. He has not used the machine for almost 2 years. It has been started and warmed up a couple times a year over the last 2 years, no driving.

Now the bad (potentially). He had it into Polaris for maintenance over 2 years ago. Also, he was having a transmission/clutch issue being fixed. Basically, the 4wheeler never felt like it was disengaging when it sat at an idle. You had to hold the brake pretty firmly if you didn't want to roll. Also, when you went to take off slowly it felt kind of jumpy/grabby. When he got it back all was ok for about a week. It started doing the same thing all over again and he parked it. It is a shame, it is a nice machine that os in good shape for its age.

I have the opportunity to get the machine and figure out what it needs before paying any $$.

I have three primary questions for all of you aficionados:

1: what would be a fair price for this machine as is? I searched it and it looks like it is worth about $1300 if it had no problems. I'm not expecting to pay much, but I want to be fair.

2: are the issues that it has (described above) a prelude to major/ongoing/long term problems?

3: are these machines (this particular year/model/generation) a good solid rig? Not looking to invest time & money if this is a troublesome/expensive machine to own.

Thanks for your input!!

The name is Jim BTW

Old 02-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome

Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody! I look forward to learning about what you guys are doing with your machines!!