Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

New Here From Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here From Ontario

I just got my first atv in a trade deal.. Wasnt really expecting to own one but am definitely happy i do now lol

Its a 2003 raptor 660r. I havent gotten much use out of it yet because one of the front tires needed to be replaced so I have decided to get 2 new ones for the front so the rims are at the shop now waiting for the tires to come in. Should be ready to get for this weekend though.

I have never really driven a atv or dirtbike or motorcycle yet. I took this for a quick test drive when i got it and it seems to be pretty fast.. looking forwartd to really learning how to drive it now hehe.

Figured I would chime in and say hello and see if there was any riders in my area? or anyone wityh some helpfull advise to someone who is brand new to this..

anyways thanks for reading and im sure I'll be back soon with a ton of questions lol

Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome

Old 03-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dave_s1987
Figured I would chime in and say hello and see if there was any riders in my area? or anyone wityh some helpfull advise to someone who is brand new to this..
what area? Ontario is a big province. but if your in the south there's not much riding without going north

Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah im from southern ontario unfortunetely.. so not a lot of options as far as good trails to ride on. I did see an atv club online in the haldimand are but thats getting pretty close to the border.

I do have a lot of private property spots to drive it while i learn the ropes though. I have also been checking into some of the laws in my city (burlington) and I think i can drive it on residential streets and to work and back as long as it fully insured and i follow the speed rules. Dont quote me on that though.. still have to look into it more lol

I also had a question for you guys.. when my new front tires come in the shop told me they could install them for $30 per rim if i bring them the rims off the atv. That seemed to be pretty damn costly to me.. what do you guys think?? am i best to go elsewhere to ahve them put on?

thanks again for the responses

Old 03-11-2014, 12:53 AM
Range Rover

yeah there's not much around Burlington at all. i'm around London and just joined up with a club called Talbot Trail ATV Club but that's a good distance from you. sadly most of the trails are north so i go up for a week or weekend once or twice a year. you could try Great Lakes ATV Club which is near Woodstock but that's still like a 90 min drive for you

as for driving on the roads i honestly don't know the laws very well but i'm pretty sure it's illegal under provincial laws. some counties or townships have passed laws allowing it so in those areas you're fine when it comes to local cops but provincial law is above so if you run into the OPP you can still be ticketed

as for the rims yes that's a rip off. you could try Canadian tire or some of the local tire shops and they'll usually do it for $5-$10 per tire. personally i put them on myself but it can be a massive pain if you get a stubborn tire

Old 03-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, I think I may get my girlfriend a small atv and we will just have to trailer them up north to go hit the trail systems. other than that we are going to have to just stick to private property.

as far as i can tell driving an atv along some some ontario hwy's is legal as long as it registered and insured and you can only drive on municipal roads if the city you are in permits it.

I would really want to risk a ticket though so i figured I would jsut go to my local police station with my insurance and registration and see what they tell me.

I looked more into the tires more after reading that you do your own...and a friend at my work told me he would show me how to put them on myself. thats $60 I can keep in my pocket so thanks for the advise lol

Hopefully my tires will be on and ready for Friday so i can finally start learning how to drive it.. tired of sitting on it in my garage and starting it but not being able to ride it haha

thanks again!

Old 03-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

Most tires are pretty easy to put on but some can have very stiff sidewalls and be a royal pain. with tires like that the best way without the proper equipment is to use a ratchet strap to get a seal