Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Newby

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby

Hi everyone, bought an 06 sportsman 450 from ex dad, he never took atv for ecm recall, took to dealership and was told it had expired, took over the weekend to do some riding and it appears to have finally went south. Smoke from panel underneath headlight boiled out, able to remove battery cable to keep from catching fire. Today received new ecm in mail and have attached accordingly. Battery cable attached back and key turned to on position, "dashboard" came on like normal with all readings available, turn key to crank and hear a click with everything going dead again, any idea what problem may be? Have checked wires directly connected to ecm and they all appear to be intact with no bare wire showing, i have since found there are no fuses so im wondering what the issue might possibly be? If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-29-2017, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Move your post into the Polaris section so more Polaris people will see it. You Polaris folks are very fortunate to have a retired service person from Polaris to help with your issues. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks

Was having a hard time navigating the website and forums so i posted where i could!! Lol Good news is i took off positive battery cable after hooking up ecm and putting a charge on the battery and all is well here!! Becoming the regular atv mechanic!!!

Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Atvassassin777
Was having a hard time navigating the website and forums so i posted where i could!! Lol Good news is i took off positive battery cable after hooking up ecm and putting a charge on the battery and all is well here!! Becoming the regular atv mechanic!!!
Dealer ought to have his azz kicked because this was a US consumer safety recall and the black Chinese module should have been replaced free of charge.Shouldn't have been any time limit on these unless specified by Consumer Safety Commission.http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2008/...o-Fire-Hazard/ Any way glad you didn't burn the thing up and it's working ok..

Old 03-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes i agree, i didnt know safety recalls could expire, im sure they dont on vehicles! I got the chines black model for $89 on ebay!! So got lucky with a steal and have been easy repairs and not at all expensive! Pretty good when i only gave $1400 for the atv

Old 03-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Atvassassin777
Yes i agree, i didnt know safety recalls could expire, im sure they dont on vehicles! I got the chines black model for $89 on ebay!! So got lucky with a steal and have been easy repairs and not at all expensive! Pretty good when i only gave $1400 for the atv
NO,NO NO on the same black module that some people pass off on ebay.. You need the updated Silver module or you can have the same problem again..2004-2006 POLARIS Sportsman 450 500 Scrambler OEM Surepower ECM PDM 2203348 | eBay

Old 03-30-2017, 06:44 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome.