Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Newcomer! Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 PM
The Time Killer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newcomer! Hello!

Hello everyone! I've posted some questions before already but never properly introduced.

My name is Bill
I currently own in ATVs:

1984 Honda Big Red 200ES. (One of my favorites purely from nostalgia)
1986 Yamaha Moto4 YMF225 (My favorite to ride cause it's comfy!)
1985 Suzuki Quadrunner 250 LT250EF (Fixing up for my younger son. It's a beast!)
1995 Kawasaki Bayou 220 (Excellent shape. My daughter's ride.)

I also have 2 little Panterra Chinese quads. A 90cc and a 110cc. The 90cc was my younger son's who's going to be using the Quadrunner. The 110cc is my older son's but he never rides with us so I may get rid of it very soon. It needs too much work. If he wants to ride with us, he can get on the 90cc.

Other hobbies include guitar playing, recording music(available free upon request), computer stuff, fishing(when I get the chance) and video games. Two of my kids and I are heavily into the quads this season so not as many games right now! Although I do love a good session of Rocket League!

I drive a concrete mixer for a living. Good pay. Good people(mostly). Good hours. Also a garage at work I take the toys to for tinkering.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:39 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums!

Old 07-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi relic: Boy, you are big in the ATV hobby. I'm retired and bought my first ATV just last December. I have enjoyed "motorsports" most of my life from model airplanes, go karts, motorcycles and sports cars mainly. Thanks to my wife, I picked up the vintage Airstream hobby also. I've done extensive work on our two old Airstreams. We enjoy traveling in them. I enjoy working in the garage on dirty, oily, smelly, broken things. Wierd, huh?

I worked at Eaton Hydraulics where we manufactured a ton of transit mixer drum drives. I have visited McNeilus in Dodge Center, MN, many times. We never did win the Oshkosh business, but not for the lack of effort. Do you remember the old Challenge Cook transit mixers out of California. Maybe you operate a mixer with a Eaton drum drive? Concrete is quite a science and let's say the foundation of the building industry.

David

Old 07-29-2017, 02:41 PM
The Time Killer

Originally Posted by dbj216
Hi relic: Boy, you are big in the ATV hobby. I'm retired and bought my first ATV just last December. I have enjoyed "motorsports" most of my life from model airplanes, go karts, motorcycles and sports cars mainly. Thanks to my wife, I picked up the vintage Airstream hobby also. I've done extensive work on our two old Airstreams. We enjoy traveling in them. I enjoy working in the garage on dirty, oily, smelly, broken things. Wierd, huh?

I worked at Eaton Hydraulics where we manufactured a ton of transit mixer drum drives. I have visited McNeilus in Dodge Center, MN, many times. We never did win the Oshkosh business, but not for the lack of effort. Do you remember the old Challenge Cook transit mixers out of California. Maybe you operate a mixer with a Eaton drum drive? Concrete is quite a science and let's say the foundation of the building industry.

David
Thanks! I wouldn't say I'm big I the hobby. I just want to make it so we all have one that we can ride around on without worrying about them breaking down. I hate fixing things like that. I'm a very pissy mechanic lol.

We have McNeilius assemblies on our trucks. Recently just got Shumaker drums put on a couple of them to replace the old drums. They were thinned out so bad they were ready to open right up! I'm not recalling the brand of the drive pumps in front of the drums, but they are a German company I know.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:11 PM
Back Country Explorer

Well, Eaton ain't German. Maybe Sauer units, maybe Rexroth, and Danfoss makes them too.

Heck, I figured you for a good mechanic. You are right. ATV reliability ain't the greatest. My friends always emphasize "never ride alone". A breakdown 10 miles from the parking lot could spell trouble without a helper. There are no cell phone signals where we ride.

David

Old 07-30-2017, 07:45 PM
The Time Killer

Originally Posted by dbj216
Well, Eaton ain't German. Maybe Sauer units, maybe Rexroth, and Danfoss makes them too.

Heck, I figured you for a good mechanic. You are right. ATV reliability ain't the greatest. My friends always emphasize "never ride alone". A breakdown 10 miles from the parking lot could spell trouble without a helper. There are no cell phone signals where we ride.

David
I would never call myself a good mechanic. But I am confident i can fix just about anything Oh my machines. They are old but they are basic and require minimal maintenance. We live in Nanticoke PA and all of the trails we can get to from the house alone are almost endless. Everywhere we usually go is close enough to civilization to not worry so much about not being able to get out of the woods it something goes wrong. I go out alone to scout trails my kids haven't been on yet so they don't get hurt.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:04 PM
Back Country Explorer

Old, basic, and minimal maintenance describes me exactly. That's what happens when you reach retirement age.

Your riding opportunities sound great. The trails are close, and quite involved without being miles from civilization. The mountains in Pennsylvania are very nice. Here in the Colorado mountains you can easily get lost, or be miles and miles from the parking area when you burned up your CVT belt. We have backpackers and skiers who get lost every year out here. Gee, the county sheriff has a pickup with an ATV in the bed for mountain rescues. There is a snowmobile in the pickup during the winter months. I might ride a trail alone if I had a good "satellite phone" with me (very expensive). I do use my GPS so I can follow the tracks, or "bread crumbs" back to my parking place.

David