Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Newbie in the Black Hills, SD

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh no! Very sorry about your crash. Those aren't the kind of pictures we like to see posted here. I'm glad you weren't hurt more seriously, but a smashed wrist is serious enough. Ouch! These ATVs can bite hard.

I am a new quad ATV rider. I find the machines tall and tippy in all directions. I don't know the limits of my machine. That's why I was asking about the Ace. I have had my quad on two wheels trying to traverse a big rock. I did a stupid thing and put my foot down trying to catch the machine. The correct thing is body english with my weight on the uphill side of the machine. It did not roll, but it was too close for comfort. Later that day, I found my self "dancing" on the rear wheels again trying to crawl up a rock. The ATV reared up like a horse. I was lucky it didn't flip over on me. Again, I should have been standing and my upper body over the handle bars.

The friends I ride with don't have these problems due to their many years of experience. I'll get the hang of it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

David

Old 11-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
The friends I ride with don't have these problems due to their many years of experience. I'll get the hang of it.

David
Ya know David you're spot on. I know I had that wreck because I didn't know how to ride the machine, no question in my mind. But, while I think I could get pretty good on one, at 67 years old, I'm not willing to pay the price. I'm into this to do a little off roading, see the sights, see the wildlife. The two ACE 570's will do the job quite amicably I'm certain.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 69 and seeing scenery and wildlife here in Colorado is why I jumped into the hobby with both feet. Having friends who have ridden for 25 years or more certainly played a role. They watch out for me and give me good riding advice.

The Ace 570 makes sense to me. Polaris has just introduced a Ace 900. But I need a 50" machine for the ATV trails around here. The 900 is 60" wide for more stability.

Here are a couple of photos showing why we ride ATVs in the mountains. They may speed your recovery a little bit. You gotta do your rehab so you can still cast that fish bait exactly where you want it.

David

Attached Thumbnails Newbie in the Black Hills, SD-1707-mtn-goats-2-small-.jpg   Newbie in the Black Hills, SD-1707-waldorf-fourteeners-small-.jpg  
Old 11-09-2017, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
Here are a couple of photos showing why we ride ATVs in the mountains. They may speed your recovery a little bit. ......
LOL, Great photos, they may speed it up David, they just may! Unfortunately, I will still be just missing them until May rolls around. We head to Florida next Tuesday, but I've got the exploration equipment ready for the spring!
Mike

Attached Thumbnails Newbie in the Black Hills, SD-7nov17a-off-road.jpg