Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

New to ATV connection

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ATV connection

I have two Kawasaki Bayou 220 4wheelers. I have one that no brakes. I decided to put new ones on both of them. The Rear hub on the right side has 2 brake pads and the left side doesn't have a break hub. That's why when you order pads all around, you only get 3 sets instead of 4. I ran into problems pulling the right rear Hub. I tried everything suggested on YouTube and forums. I was terribly stubborn. I thought about buying a puller made for 4wheelers but is was either too expensive or not available. I decided to get a family member to cut a custom plate with the hole patterns to fit the front and rear wheels. The plate was precisely cut on a PLASMACAM machine with a 2" hole in the center.
Once put it on the hub and put the nuts on, I used a standard 3 claw puller to grab the outside of the
7 1/2" diameter plate. This easily pulled it off the shaft. The hubs were brushed and cleaned. The new break pads were installed. I tried putting the hub back exactly as the old ones were... but it wouldn't go on. That shaft and hub are splined. I backed the adjuster all the way to allow the brake pads to close to a smaller diameter. Multiple times I kept doing different things to get it on. The inter part of the hub was hanging on the pad as I tried to slide it on.l tried sanding the inside of the drum with 100 grit sand paper. Nothing was working. The only way left was to sand the pads down to give more clearance for the hub to slide on. After several attempts this finally worked. The new pads thickness was about half of what they were new. I may have to change it more often but it may last most of the year. There should be better options like pads that fit perfectly and have more pad available.
I bought 2 full sets of pads from 2 different vendors on Ebay and they are exactly the same.
The puller plate was a godsend😃👍
I can now make plates to fit most anything since a Plasmacam is available. We also can power coat them different colors.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:51 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

You may want to post this over in the Kawasaki section. It will probably get more views and replies there.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome