Kawasaki Side by Sides Talk about the rugged Kawasaki Sport and Utility

Mule ignition will not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mule ignition will not turn off

Greetings, Have 2005 610 Mule. Ignition turns on fine, but key will not turn it off. Have tried a friends' ignition module without success. Changed relays and checked most connections and grounds with same problem. Any advice would be appreciated. live on a small Panama Pacific island so no mechanic is nearby. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Turn off? do you mean wont turn off all power light stay on or wont turn off ignition keeps running?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ignition Won't turn off

Hi Papa, Thanks for checking. The lights work as normal with ignition on or off...it's just that the motor will not turn off with the key in off position. I have to choke the motor till it stops. Starts fine, just wants to keep running. Have checked most everything without finding any obvious faults. Any advice? Thanks, Thijs

Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like may have an bad ignition switch! Have tested it out to see if ignition is get the signal to shutoff?Sometime ignition cdi or coils wont shutoff but since you changed out cdi module I would check to see if switch is the problem..Check switch conunity in off postion and than check conunity in on postion to if anything changed.Then get back here with the followup..Good Luck

Old 11-07-2013, 05:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mule ignition won't turn off

Hi, Did replace the ignition key module and checked switch circuit but the same problem is occurring. Have not changed rectifier/regulator and am thinking that is perhaps the problem. Will check that circuit today as per the shop manual. Thanks for your time.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just fixed the exact problem on mine. There is a black wire under the bed that connects to the ignition system. The wire supplies a ground to stop the engine. Remove the cover from the left side of the engine and use a multimeter to check community through the wire. Mine was broken in half.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Greetings, Thanks so much for your email. Looking at my wiring diagram, the only black wire from the ignition is the main coil wire...and if that was broken the Mule wouldn't start. I'll pull off the coil and alternator cover and check which wires are available. If you can offer more specifics, I'd appreciate it. By the time I get this fixed, I'll have disassembled most of the car anyhow. Again , thanks for your time and input. Thijs

Old 11-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just sent you an email. I cannot add photos yet, but I did take a photo of the wire I fixed on mine. Just reply. Thank you.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Southern, If you could send photo through to tnvans@gmail.com plus how you fixed this problem, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Thijs

Old 11-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Email sent. Let me know if it helps. The ignition coil is looking for a ground through the ignition switch in the off position to stop the engine.

Quick Reply: Mule ignition will not turn off