Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KFX 700 or Modded out Scrambler 400?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX 700 or Modded out Scrambler 400?

Looking at both these quads (and any other 2x4 automatics you can recommend! but I don't see any others in the class!)

I like the sound of the KFX 700 but do worry that it might be too light in the front end. I do lots of trail riding and up some STEEP (close to straight up) muddy inclines and I am worried that the beast might fall back on me. Anybody have any experience with this type of riding?

How does the the 700 compare to a Scrambler (trailblazer) 400 if modded out to increase the horsepower to around 42?

How do these 2 compare on weight and handling?

I have a Z400 and don't like it due to the low ground clearance, manual shifting on hills and trails, and cut away fenders washing my head with mud (looks like the 700 has similar fender though), and rough juggernut jerking at low speeds(it only wants to go FAST! FAST! FAST!)

Gimmee your input, thanks....

Old 06-15-2003, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your post, since you own a KFX 700 can you tell me how it handles the trails and especially my concern regarding the front end being to light weight

Can you cruise smoothly at slow speeds without it lurching?

It sounds like the 700 is a great machine, i just need to learn a little more about it , especially since my salesman told me he didn't like them (though he did think the Prairie 650 was nice, but I do not want a 4WD). The salesman said that with the gas tank in the rear it made the quad poorly balanced, as well as something about an exposed and long coolant hose which may be prone to getting caught or torn by limbs while trail riding (which is what I do the most in KY). Let me know what you think. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Brewster

Old 06-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

Brewster the VForce is very perfectly balanced more so than anyother quad. The Force is a heavy machine however Kawasaki did a great job with the V twin motor and properly balancing this machine. The gas tank does not make this quad unbalanced, 3.6 gal. muly=tiplied by 8 pounds per gal. of gas is only 28.8 pounds, if anyone out there is going to tell you that addiding 28 or 30 pounds to the rear will make a big strong v twin motored quad unbalanced they are so wrong. Kawasaki did their homework on this quad though though motor is most likely very tamed, aftermarket CDI's and pipes, jet kits will bring out the true 698cc motor that is hidden. This quad is great in the trails, that is where I ride 90% of the the time. Ask Adam Howell and other that race this quad, the VForce is a very strong FORCE in the GNCC racing circuit.
As far as the modded Scrambler, well to me why buy a quad that you will have to immediately need to spend money and time on to modify just so that it could be better, all you need to do is sign the damn Kawasaki KFX700 paperwork and load up the quad that is ready to handle the toughest of trails better than any modded 400 cc quad. Just my opinion, I own probably one of the best 400cc quads made right now and and the VForce, They are both great quads, however you aren't seeing me take my 700 out to ride tough trails when I could take the stronger, faster, and more balanced 700. Can you tell I love this quad!!!!

Old 06-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

I sold my Polaris 400 when I got the V Force, if that tells you anything. My biggest complaint with the Sport/Scrambler/Trailblazer 400 was the twitchy steering. It was scary going down tight trails because a root or rock would jerk the bars right out of your hands. On hard pack dirt, it was downright scary too. I played with the alignment to get it less jerky, but nothing worked. The width of the 400 is about the same as the 700 and the 700 handles much better. Acceleration of the 700 is far better also.

By the way, my 400 was modded with full pipe and clutch. The 700 has a better fit and finish, nice 4 stroke rumble, and a quick shifting auto tranny. The Polaris was not as maneuverable and could not lift the front wheels as needed on the trail. The 700 will wheelie when you want it to, but not when you don't. The front end is light enough to have fun, but not heavy. It jumps extremely well and feels well balanced. So far, the only time I notice the weight being a burden is on the sand dunes, but I don't have the right paddle tires yet. Skat-Trak is testing a special tire to handle the weight of the 700 and provide proper flotation without too much wheelie.

As for the fuel tank in the rear, Skat-Trak says it is creating problems for their testing, but I have not noticed it on the trail. My biggest complaint so far is the fuel consumption, but it may get better after it's completely broken in.

The only thing the Polaris 400 has over the V Force is full floorboards. I was riding in mud and got it from the knees down. The full boards would have kept me somewhat clean, but I can live with that.

I agree that the Scrambler/Trailblazer and the V Force are comparable: both are heavyweight automatics. If you are on a budget, the Polaris will be less expensive, but it does not offer the technology and suspension of the Kawi. I think it's worth the extra bucks to get the V Force.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

My biggest complaint with the Sport/Scrambler/Trailblazer 400 was the twitchy steering. It was scary going down tight trails because a root or rock would jerk the bars right out of your hands.

Well said, that was one of the things that soured me on my Scrambler. I liked having the push button 4WD but I'd rather sacrifice that for everything that my V-Force is. I'm short and stocky and I mostly ride trails and lately a bit of jumping and gravel pit motocross. I don't think I get any muddier on my V-Force than I did on my Scrambler. I also like the fact that it's 4-stroke, shaft drive (I hated the Scrambler drivertrain, but I had a 96, I think the newer ones are better.) It's easy to get at any of the things I need to maintain on the V, servicing the Scrambler was a 4-6 hour job. The Scrambler wasn't much of a jumper either, it felt very heavy and awkward in the air, nowhere near as easy to jump as the V-Force.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

The sheer torque you can feel while riding these things are enough to make you want one. I've only had the oppurtunity to run against a polaris sport 400, 400ex, z400.. really they were no contest. I believe all three of these other guys said at one point during the day.. "I wish I could get one of those" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] not to mention they just sound cool! ehhehe

Old 06-16-2003, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the great posts guys...I think I am falling in love already with the V Force...

I wonder, are there any accessories available like a floor board option similar to the Scrambler? Also I am assuming the cut away wheel wells will throw mud on your face pretty good like on my Z400?(and I hate that) I wonder if there is anything to cure that as well?

I know, now I am getting picky.....

I did get an opportunity to drive a P650 at the dealership on Saturday and was really impressed with the power and silky smooth tranny, I prolly would have bought it if it was 2 WD. How much different is the torque and speed moving up to the 700 V Force?

Old 06-16-2003, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

The V-Force is better than the Scrambler in every imaginable way, especially if you're talking about a 2x4 Scrambler.

V-Force & Scrambler

Old 06-17-2003, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider

Interesting thread...I have a Scrammy that I am selling to buy the V-force. Time for a new toy and momma said go ahead. From all I have read the V should blow away the Scrammy in almost all aspects, except for the time when I use the 4x4, which is mainly to keep myself straight hauling down dirt roads with a few inches of snow on it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]