Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

V700 not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V700 not impressed

Well, here's my results:

Brother's Banshee with FMF fatty's, proper jetting, White Bros. boost bottle, K&N filter.
Buddy's Banshee with FMF fatty's, proper jetting, Vito's power pistons and K&N.
My V-Force, 6 1" holes in the airbox and a Polaris primary spring.

Lost by 1 quadlength to my brother and 1 1/2 to the other Banshee in approx. 1/4 mile race. Turned around and raced them the other way with the same results. Anybody that knows how fast a piped Banshee is going when it hits 6th knows how impressive it is to be able to stay that close with only minor mods.

I have no doubt that smaller guys that are used to small quads are going to have trouble with the V in the tight stuff, but I think its perfect for larger guys and I have no trouble making it do what I want it to do.

Old 06-16-2003, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

"Mayber I will take a closer look at the Prairie 700. How does it handle in the woods? Can it do wheelies?
Where can mods be purchased for this machine?"

It handles well in the woods when tires are replaced (stock tires are junk). It can do wheelies, with an ignition module you will have to keep it from going over. Mods are available most anywhere depending on what you want.

Old 06-16-2003, 06:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] hey i just read what you thought of the new v force, I respect what you think about the new quad but let me tell you from first hand experience, i sell motorcycles over in fresno ca, and see all the new stuff come in , i admit i was a little standoffish at first , i said it was too big too much weight .... so on and so on, but it wasn't till myself 2 salesman from my shop and some factory reps took a ds 650, a raptor w/ paddles and e series pipe, 03' banshee, 400ex, a blaster, a z 400, and a kfx 700 to pismo beach california , in the sand dunes untill i realized what it was all about, we basically did a shoot out on all the quads ranging from straight up hill drag races to racing a 1/4 mile track with a jump and whoops in it, but anyway to make a long story short, during the day of riding it didn't matter who was riding the 700 they whooped ***, in every aspect, beat the rapter by 4 quad lengths in the straight drag, but imagine what this thing is going to do when all the parts come out for it, "high performance clutch? wiseco 800 stroker kit? roll design a arms w/ elka suspension? this quad will and is the new bar for quads, now it isn't for every rider in the world, but i promise you if you give it one more chance you won't regret it.

Old 06-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

I thank you all for responding on this post and I stick with my initial thoughts only when matched side by side with other so called stock machines. You must understand my quad weighs 700 lbs with racks Outlaw tires, skid plate and winch. With my new ignition witch the others did not now about and all I can say they now about now LOL. If this thing were to be installed in the 700 it would be scary. I also believe if the A arms are to be extended, the rear swing arm to extended by at least 2 inches like I have my 650 it will stop that darn thing from going over backwards. You can't hit full throttle on a good surface with chance to end up with the thing on your noodle. You can have 5000 hp and if you can't put it to the ground it is useless. The 700 has great torque where the other machines do not and to capitalize on this advantage things must be done.

One of you talked about shocks, paddles, etc, if you put this all together would it not come out to $5000 of add ons. I have seen Banshees, 250Rs worth $40,000 to get them to top peak performance and they have to tare them apart after each race if they manage to finish. Shocks, Elka shocks alone are what 1500 US couple this other high market items this comes real close to $5000 of add ons just to beat your buddy.

The ignition system is the biggest let down on the 700 and for the 650 as well. Kawi has said they designed the timeing for the 700 but it still drops off at 5000 rpm just as the 650 does. Mine now pulls solid right up to valve float with no 5000 rpm wall and this is the biggest stumbling block the 700 has plus not being able to adjust gearing. I would think bigger tires would be the answer as it would take more power to turn the tires witch the 700 has gobs of this would keep wheel spin down to minimum. I race in the winter on ice and I have found that the stock tires coupled with low profile Razr tire works excellent and I think this combination would be perfect for the 700. There is so much one can do and I would love to play with the 700 to see what can be done. My friend that has the 700 was to embarrassed that I smoked him. He has volunteered his machine to me so we can make it a monster and I think it can be done. I will incorporate some of my stuff I have done with the 650 to see what we can achieve.

Understand this I said the 700 sucks because there is so much that can be done and Kawi should have done it from factory. I think they are also waiting to see what other innovative people can do with the 700 to get up to par. This is a challenge my buddy is willing to pay for, notice I said he is willing to pay for LOL. First I will,....., well I leave this for now until I have the 700 in the toy shop for refurbishing. I am not bashing the 700 just disappointed!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2003, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

The 700 wasn't made to be a race/drag quad. If they made it 400# like the others then it would have been a different story. Kawi wanted to make a large, heavier, stable, sporty automatic machine. They wanted it to be a segment leader like the 650. Mr. Kawasaki himself told me this himself, hahahah.

It's NEW segment. Got it, good. Nothing wrong with comparisons. I think we would all agree that if kawi wanted to make a raptor spanker they would have. Who knows, after learning from the kfx400 frame design, they may make a new frame and throw a manual in it as another sport entry "kfx700 manual sport". But based on what I hear the kfx 400 is doing very well.

Old 06-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: alltoys

The ignition system is the biggest let down on the 700 and for the 650 as well. Kawi has said they designed the timeing for the 700 but it still drops off at 5000 rpm just as the 650 does.
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but the wimpy little primary spring in the V will not let the motor rev like a twin should be able to. When I had the stock primary in, my brother would hit 6th on his Banshee and it looked like I was going in reverse he pulled me so bad. Now mine pulls hard from bottom to top, total cost $20 for a new primary spring.

Old 06-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Doesn't the primary spring just affect at what RPM the belt will engage?

Old 06-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

I feel kawasaki did exactly what the should have done . so what if there ATV's are heavily restricted , they still have the most powerful stock 4-wheel drive atv ever made, the Kawasaki's are kicking tail in the GNCC races which are the closest form of racing there is to the way atv's was designed to be run. Kawasaki like most people could care less about "atv drag races" I say get them in the woods and kick butt, leave the drag races to cars and street bikes.

Old 06-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bbertram
Your primary spring & weights determine at what RPM the belt will engage and more importantly at what RPM the trans will shift out. The V has so much torque that the stock spring doesn't hurt the bottom or mid-range, but its killing the top end power by holding down the RPM's.

Old 06-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KevinM
Originally posted by: bbertram
Your primary spring & weights determine at what RPM the belt will engage and more importantly at what RPM the trans will shift out. The V has so much torque that the stock spring doesn't hurt the bottom or mid-range, but its killing the top end power by holding down the RPM's.

What spring did you get for the primary that would allow you to run with your friends banshee? Would the same hold true to the P650 also?

Quick Reply: V700 not impressed