Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

In what way will Elkas change how my VForce handles??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In what way will Elkas change how my VForce handles??

I am pretty ignorant on some of this stuff.......how different will it feel and what are the benefits?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

I'll try to answer your questions based on my experience with my V-Force. You can also go to the Elka site and ask them your questions. They're pretty good about responding.

I have Elka Elites front and rear. My front shocks are the triple rate spring (3 springs with different spring rates), piggyback reservoir type, compression adjustable only with Elka's SSD (self-sagging device) adjustment. This setup gives you about 3/4" more shaft travel than the fully adjustable (compression and rebound) type for 2" more wheel travel (Elka's words) .

This SSD adjustment to me is a type of preload that allows you to lower the center of gravity of the bike by about 2" max by screwing up the adjusters at the top of the shocks. By removing the preload with the SSD, the topmost softer spring to soaks up the bumps really nice and handles the smaller impacts much better than a preloaded shock. What this adjustment does is delay transfer of impact to the more stiffer springs. I have mine screwed all most all the way to the top of the front shocks and I can hit the curb dead on and barely feel it compared to a preloaded shock.

My rear shock is a double rate (2 springs with 2 different spring rates) shock that is fully adjustable (compression and rebound) with a remote reservoir. The remote reservoir comes with a steel braided line, rubber mounts and two hose clamps for mounting to a frame tube. I mounted mine behind the V-Force plastic toolbox. If I ever decide to get an aftermarket dual exhaust that requires removal of the tool kit box, I'll probably have to move the reservoir somewhere else.

This rear shock also has the SSD to lower the bike and get more wheel travel.

The difference in ride is a much smoother ride, less of the impact is transmitted through the handlebars. I can go faster through the rough stuff. And since the bike and it's center of gravity is lowered, I can turn sharper with less chance of tipping which allows me to get through the turns faster.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Old 06-19-2003, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Gentleman,

Thank You for the extremely informative posts. On wet trails, and hitting downhill curves i do find the V-Force to a little scary at its 500+ lb weight and stock ride height. I think I will check out the Elkas. Can you tell me where is the best place to purchase and do I need them all the way around or just on the front?

Old 06-20-2003, 12:54 AM
Range Rover

Christian Paul Motorsports, he will get you the best deal by far. Tell him that Adam Howell sent you.
(518)661-6321

Old 06-20-2003, 03:47 AM
Trailblazer

Hey, Green Team
Looks like you might of had a bad weekend...what happened???

I also noticed your brother ran at the Penton, but did not run at the Patriot, Is he running too this year or did he just fill in for the injured Parker???

I was supposed to be there (@ Patriot), but a last minute ( I turned around in West Virginia at the last minute, a change of plans sort of thing on Friday morning)...urrrr...so I did not get to go. Man I was really bummed. So instead I ran a local series Cross Country race 6 and 9 milers on both Saturday and Sunday. Finished real well in both races ( Overall ) So it turned out to be a decent weekend anyway, but still torque-ed about not making it to the Patriot though. I will be at the "Wisp" for sure though...w/fingers crossed.

I just got back in from business so I have been trying to catch up on the posts.

Ednmunds..I misplaced your email addy, but I do remember your ???'s,... I used a utility knife to cut the vents, I first scarred the outline of the vents, and then with a couple more pass/cuts they popped right out, took a little time to do though. As far as attaching the screen I used 3M automotive grade double sided tape around the perimeter of the screen to secure. Since the hood cover is thin, and not really many options to secure the screen I figured this would work, it seems to be holding up well. This tape is the same that is used on automotive body moldings ect., so it should be able to handle the water and mud.

My rear tail-lamp ( what was left ) is now completely gone and my rear grab bar is bent at 90 degs. up, a real steep down hill and the Polaris Predator in front of me balled it up on the way down, and then I was unable to stop and hit his bike, and then the bike behind me nailed me real hard from the rear. I searched everywhere for a bumper ...nobody has any in stock yet. Except for DG, but that is just a grab bar and I need the full protection race style bumper. I really want /like the Pro-Armor rear bumper (racing) ,but Ray @ Pro-Armor said that the Green Team guys swiped them all, and he will not have anything for a couple of weeks.

My IMS front bumper held up great as I had to ram & push a utility quad through a deep mud hole and then up a small bank to keep traffic moving. I jammed him pretty hard and the hit didn't hurt the IMS any...real tough bumper.

So Green Team, you guys don't have an extra one (Pro-Armor Rear Bumper) left over that I could just purchase from you guys, "maybe" ?? I really need something buy the Wisp. If not I'll just make something to use temporarily.

I am also going with Elkas on the KFX, I just can't deal with the stock shocks any longer, "well" I will have to run them at the Wisp, but that will be it. I was waiting to see what some of the feed back would be from you guys on the early shock set-ups, and to let all the shock manufactures get the V-Force set up sorted out. It sounds like Elka seems to be ahead of the game so far...so that is the way I will go. I will order the shocks from Rick @ "C-P-M" Adam, and let him know you recommended them to help keep things going for you. The only thing I am not sure is if I will go with non rezzy fronts only and stay with the stock rear (this is to stay within the 4-stroke stock rules) or just say screw it! and go with rezzies (Elites) all the way around, and then I will just jump to another class, such as Utility Unlimited or the Vet class.

Anyone running the non-rezzy's with stock rear shock ??/ what's your take on this set-up if so??

Sounds like the Rezzy's with the SSD all the way around is the way to go though, but I like running in the 4-stroke stock class and would like to stay in it. I don't know how you do it Green Team, using them stock shocks, especially as good as you ride in your races. I am starting to envy my friends Z-400 (just the suspension anyway)

The coarse workers at the races I ran this past weekend said my V was dragging the frame the first 1/3 of the big hill climbs, this thing would just G-out when I would hit the face of each hill climb, and then cause me to have to get out of the throttle to regain directional control during the climb. Also by the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th laps I could feel every root, stone and bump through the front end, "heck" it was even slightly bottoming on hard breaking into some of the sharp 90 degree corners. My only complaint with the Big-V is the suspension, I'm not even sure if it is even worthy of sporty aggressive trail riding, it just fades too quickly to nothing.

If your listening Kawasaki....the suspension "Front & Rear", and maybe a little more top end revs (rpms) (mainly for the bigger hill climbs) is all that this thing needs to be a "killer" stock class race ready quad..., for cross country type racing.

Once again I had no problems going through any deep ruts, mud and no problems up the "huge" hill climbs that we had. I did have to stop one time 1/2 way up on the biggest hill because of some stuck quads, but once they moved I just easily gave it throttle and then was able to tractor right up the hill. The front end was a bobbing the whole way, but I made it. I think the hill spectators were amazed that the V-motored up from a dead stop....."actually" so was I.

Also I read some posts regarding the engine quitting when the bars are turned fully to the left...mine has been doing this since day one also. I have checked for pinched wires, and or the choke and throttle cables getting pulled or bound up. I can't find anything that is causing this, so what ever you guys find out pass it along to the Forum please.....

well this is enough...didn't mean to bore ya or ramble, hope to see some of ya at the next race.
............tarrat

Old 06-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

This has to be one of the most informative posts I've ever read on this forum! Thanks for the heads up 3TV, mine stalled last night while I was putting it away, and I remembered hereing of someone else with the problem, on my way out to the warehouse now to check that out.

Old 06-20-2003, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

I just went and checked mine, the choke cable doesn't move but it stalls at full left turn. Any guesses?

Old 06-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Range Rover

mine does not have a problem with that. It's gotta be either the choke or throttle cable. Have you had the recall done?

Old 06-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

If want a dealer that has exceptional service after you purchase your Elka's, try PBS Performance. Pat will get you setup the right way at a fair price. www.pbsperformance.com Tell him VForceWNY sent you..

Old 06-20-2003, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Markdf, how much did you pay for that set of Elkas....? It looks like that is the way I am going to want to go....

Quick Reply: In what way will Elkas change how my VForce handles??