Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

impactgun to remove spring bolt??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default impactgun to remove spring bolt??????

do i have to use an impact gun to remove the bolt for the primary spring? when i tryed to loosen it the whole thing spun around.i also need the amount of tork to put on them......somebody please answer me im trying to change the spring now

Old 06-21-2003, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Pretty sure nyroc use's and impact gun. Have you checked his web page?

Old 06-21-2003, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

Using an impact gun is easier but you should be able to get by with normal tools. The driven clutch has three tabs around the center hub with holes drilled in them. Use an socket extension braced against one of these tabs and down to the floor board or a frame member to prevent the clutch from rotating. This should make the job much easier both removing and to reinstall. The torque on the 650 nut is 69 ft/pds. I assume the 700 would be the same.

Old 06-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Range Rover

Use an impact to remove the factory tightened bolt. I made a spanner identical to the Kawi tool that hooks into two of the holes on the pulley and still couldn't get the bolt loose. I had the spanner was wedged against the floor boards and was bending them before I gave up and bought an impact. Impact was the only way it was gonna come loose. Once retorqued to 69ft/lbs it was easy to remove with the spanner and ratchet. I think the factory tightens them to considerably more than 69ft/lbs! DO NOT Use any single thing in only one of the holes to hold the pulley. Worst it will split the pulley and least it will break out the hole.

Old 06-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

04vforce is talking about the drive (front) pulley. It is a tough job.

04vforce, an impact wrench is best. Also, it is lefty threaded. You might try making a tool to hold it still, but I would suggest the impact wrench. They are only $40 or so at wallmart. All you need is a hose and a compressor.

Another thing, don't even start this job unless you have the pulley puller. No amount of cussing, praying, chanting, or skin slicing will help with that. It can be a real pain to get off. Only the puller will do the job.

Old 06-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

You can buy an electric one from harbor freight or off one of the traveling tool trucks pretty cheap. You can buy a couple for the price of an air setup.

Old 06-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Electric impacts might do the job just fine. Don't go get a compressor for this one job.

You might consider just taking the quad to someone who has one just for this one job.

But, when you get a compressor, you can do a whole lot of other cool things with it. Plus, electric tools not only don't hold up as well, but they usually cost a lot more too. In many cases they also don't have as much power as the air equivalent.

My garage wall is full of air tools hung neat, each in their own spot.

I also change my own ATV tires, need air for that.

Plus, my neighbors can't borrow them because they don't have air. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

I have changed my primary spring with the clutch on the bike, just remove the retaining bolt (left hand thread)
and then remove every other of the smaller bolts at the edge of the clutch face, and then loosen the rest sequentially untill the spring tension is released.
If you are putting the red or orange spring in you might need some help getting the small bolts started as the springs are a little longer.

Old 06-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Good call, you can do all that without removing the pulley. I actually have a tech tip that states that. I just forgot about it since I haven't ever worked on my front pulley.

Old 06-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer

does anyone know the tork specs on the front drivepully?????????? ''center bolt/little bolts that go around the pully'' i took the center bolt of with an impact gun but i am afraid to strip it if i use the impact to put it back on

Quick Reply: impactgun to remove spring bolt??????