Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Old News?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 11:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old News?

Recall Alert
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 18, 2001

CPSC, Kawasaki Motor Corporation Announce Recall of ATVs
PRODUCT: ATVs - Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) of Irvine, Calif., is voluntarily recalling about 790, all terrain vehicles (ATVs). The recall involves the 2002 model Kawasaki KV650 "Prairie" ATV. The ATV model has the identification "Kawasaki" and "Prairie" on both sides of the bodywork. Kawasaki dealers sold these ATVs nationwide between May 1, 2001 through May 25, 2001 for $6,999.

PROBLEM: The rear axle on some of these units could have been incorrectly heat-treated. This could allow the rear axle to break, causing a loss of vehicle control and injury.

INCIDENTS/INJURIES: None reported.

WHAT TO DO: Consumers should stop using these ATVs immediately and contact a local Kawasaki dealer to determine if the vehicle is part of the recall. Consumers should call Kawasaki toll free at (866) 802-9381 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. PT Monday through Friday. Purchasers were sent direct mail notification of this recall.

---

Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $700 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Old News?

This is very old news. I keep seeing it over and over again when someone new sees this. I believe everyone with a bad axle has already fixed theirs.

Only a small number of the earliest prodeced 650's were involved with this. You can go to buykawasaki.com and put your VIN in to see if yours was affected.

The only people than bend their axles (for the most part) are those that wreck really bad and those that turbocharge and supercharge.

Old 06-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Old News?

I bought mine on 6-6-01, and mine was one of the ones that had to have a new axle, I looked at my friend's 03's and their axle looks totally different than mine, mine is gold colored and their's is silver, mine where it comes out of the diff is really big and their's is more streamlined and smaller.........