Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

low range failing

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low range failing

Well boys i now can not get my low range to stay engaged, this problem started out a year ago with having to hold it in gear when using low range. Now i cant even adjust it and boy have i tried to adjust. alltoys sent me a very detailed procedure, but even with this i have failed to get it to stay in gear. With that much power i can use it , but when i have to haul some heavy pole out of mudholes it smokes the new 149.00 cdn$ belt. I will probably have to replace some parts when i get some free time away from my motorcycle. Any ideas out there?

Old 07-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer

maby a shift fork bent

Old 07-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Your shifter is out of adjustment. you need to refere to the service manual or take it to a dealer and have them do it. Or play around with it till its right.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Roscoe, have you extended the shift lever? I'm not talking about the shift linkage, but the actual shift lever. There is an adjustment that makes your shift lever longer, which pulls your shift linkage farther no matter which gear you shift into. Take off your plastic that goes over the entire airbox. You can see right where your shift lever pivots that there is an adjustment there. You have to take off your airbox to get at it properly. Take your entire shift lever out and adjust it longer. Reinstall it and try it. It's a trial and error thing after that. I had the same problem you are talking about (a milder version) and I adjusted mine by turning my shift lever 2 full turns which made it longer. Cured it right quick. Hope this helps.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Yes their is something not quite right but i have tried doing the rod adjustment and the shift lever adjustment, went so far that i could not get reverse. ended up having to adjust back some then adjusting rod to get reverse back. but keep the replys coming i will listen.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

Roscoe,
I have been haveing the same problems as you it seems. After adjusting the shift linkage it works alright untill you put it under pressure and it pops out or makes a ratcheting sound won't stay in gear. Mastrblastr played with mine and it does help but I have to play with it some more I gather still ratchets under load. I might have to lengthen the shift rod to make it work. If you remove the rod from one of its connectors extend into gear it holds better so the remedy might be to lengthen the rod.

Old 07-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Alltoys
Thought i had mine fixed a couple of times, but it ended up slipping under pressure and i missed the reverse more then low range .
I wonder what kind of action you and mastrblastr were up too when you got together.I thought there was a law about one or the other of you crossing a border. wished i was there with you.

Old 07-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Roscoe69,
I am planning to go back to Mastrblastr's area next year I can wip by to pick you up on the way if you are interested. I should send you some pics of the areas we travelled to you would think they are in another world a great adventure. Your area at Edson and down in southern BC are fantastic places to ride I am fortuneate to have ridden in both places the 2 of you are very lucky. I should have my ignition tuned by next year if things go well plus an EFI set up as well. So far I am having problems with a coil that is over heating works great for short runs but nothing long term.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Roscoe, you are more than welcome to come with Alltoys next year, as long as you guys come a little later than the July long weekend!!! Too much damn snow in the mountains when Alltoys was here. I was talking to a friend of mine on the weekend and he said that the ice was just finishing coming off a couple of the high mountain lakes. They went fishing in a lake in the Salmo area and caught 9 brook trout in a matter of minutes. They kept 2 and fried em up right on the spot. Now that's what I call living!!!!!

Old 07-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Roscoe69,
How does that sound...........quadding.......fishing, quadding...........fishing. Sounds pretty good to me.......... tempted!!!!!!

Quick Reply: low range failing