Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Problems with your Vforce? Why is it better than a Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with your Vforce? Why is it better than a Raptor?

Well I'm still debating on which quad I want - Raptor or Vforce. My question is what problems, if any, are you guys experiencing on your Vforce's?

Second question, my other choice is a Raptor. What makes the Vforce a better quad for very fast trail riding and some little jumps? I know that the Raptor has a one way bearing problem but I believe there is a fix in the works for it. I don't know what problems the Vforce might have during its first year, because obviously they haven't been out long enough yet. Time is the almightly judge on that. But I digress from my original question - what, in your opinion, makes the Vforce a better fast trail quad that a Raptor? Thanks again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

The buggest diff is CVT vs clutch. That's the big thing. Also look at dimensions. The Raptor has a taller seat and narrower stance. Both are great machines. We have both in the "family". The raptor was my second choice cause the ergonomics felt too tall and therefore tippy.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

No problems so far. I love the V Force and I've owned lots of quads. Some say it's all about shifting gears and that there's no fun or skill involved if you're not shifting, slipping clutches etc. I also have a Banshee so I know lots about shifting gears. It's nice to get on the vforce and not have to worry about being in the right gear or "on the pipe". If you come around a turn and there's a hill in front of you, you're ready for it, or anything else that comes along. Now that I see you're from Charleston I know the V force would be a blast for you with all those hills! Raptors are faster on long drag races because they have taller final gearing, but I hardly ever get over 40 mph on the trails I ride, so that isn't an issue for me. All I ride are forest trails in Ohio and I am faster on my V force than any other quad I've owned and it's comfortable enough to ride all day long. I also have a 2002 Prarie 650 which is pretty much the same engine except the cylinder heads and jugs and that's been reliable as the Sun coming up. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Bruce403
2004 V Force
2002 Prarie 650
2000 Banshee

Old 07-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

Same here used to be a die hard clutch man and when i bought the v-force i Was worried that in time it would bore me and i was dead wrong it is nice in trials and especially mud i would never take a craptor over the v

Old 07-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

I love my VForce! Plain and simple. With an automatic, you can concentrate on riding, and not shifting. It has very impressive handling, thanks to the width, and enough power to go around. You would not regret getting the VForce.

Old 07-08-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Riding a V is the most fun you can legally have with your pants on......!! The only problem I have had is a blown fuse wish cost all of .50. Was doing jumps last night with my 11 year old son who is a great jumper. We marked and then measured out jumps and I was launching 36.5 ft from the top of the jump to rear wheels landing .....and it was handling like a dream. My son's best jump on a 300ex (very light and he is only 85 lbs himself) was 33 ft (which is still good).

Check out this months Dirt Wheels article entitled "V-Force 24 hour Torture Test". It tells how the V-Force won this 940 mile/24 hr endurance race with virtually no problems. The only complaint was that it had to be refueled more often than the other quads. The article is a great read.

I love mine, and wouldn't trade it for a new beagle puppy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2003, 01:00 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Maoz, remember the V-Force engine is essentially a Prairie 650 engine with slightly larger lungs and a beefier transmission. The only thing really "new" are some of the frame components and the shifting mechanizm. So the V is not really as "new" as you think.

If you want to compare V-Force and Raptor stock to stock, then the V simply out handles the Raptor because of it's design (wider, lower center of gravity). With the right modifications it only gets better from there (with both quads). Both machines have a lots of torque so the choice is up to you. It should be what "fits" you the best and whether you want an automatic or manual transmission. Because of the power output and the responsiveness of the V's auto transmission, I can't fault it when comparing it to a manual transmission but the choice is up to you. In my book the V-Force is more capable out of the box as a pure fun machine for the trails.

Old 07-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer

I love my V-Force! With the auto-trans and the 785 kit that I have installed, it is a hill climbing beast! There is no need to worry about shifting gears, just hit the throttle to the desired amount of power. I ride with several friends that ride raptors. They swear by them as I do my v-force. To me the raptor is too small after riding the v-force. Probably the best thing to do, just go ride both of them and see which one you like the best. If it be a Raptor, so be it, everyone makes poor choices sometimes in life... Just kidding!

Old 07-11-2003, 03:54 AM
Range Rover

I've never understood the people who say they get bored with an auto tranny, since they can't shift. I for one never go riding for the unique opportunity of shifting a transmission. I prefer to go slidin sideways around corners and flying through the air. If I have time to shift to make sure I have enough cojones to complete the jump, great. If not the auto tranny is a total lifesaver as it's always in the right gear and will never tip the quad when it bogs in too high a gear in the middle of a slide. I have not ridden a V, only the prarie in the kawi stable. But I've ridden a raptor and a DS as well. The raptor is lots of fun, and I've never felt it to be tippy. It does sidewheel really easy, but I've never felt it to be a problem and had lots of fun doing it. The DS is more stable but is very squirrely and not as much fun to ride. My buddy w/the raptor is considering trading for a prairie after riding mine, but he wants the best of both worlds as I did. The best advice I have to give is decide what kind of terrain you plan on spending a majority of your time riding, and then test both quads in those environments. The one that's the most fun for you should be the one to buy. Don't worry too much about what others thing, 'cuz it will be you in the saddle and not them. I for one will never badmouth you for going with a bike I didn't choose. In fact, I'd prefer to be the only one with a kicka$$ prairie on the trails. I love the looks I get when the guy on the sport quad looks over and sees me riding right with him and he's unable to really pull away. All that and I can pull an elk out of the boonies.