Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

lakota sport v.s z250

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lakota sport v.s z250

in a drag.

Old 07-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

My wife rides a Lakota Sport '03 model.......it's a tough quad that's a blast to ride.....but, I wouldn't consider it "quick" or "fast" by any means.....although, I have ZERO experience with the z250......

Old 07-09-2003, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

I think they are about the same on the top end, both toppping out in the low 50 mph range. With its lighter weight I think the z250 might just get there a little bit quicker. Look at my sig and see the mods I have on my lakota, this made the throttle response better and top end now is around the 56-57mph mark. Most people on this forum have gone with the same (or similar) mods I have and have about the same results. Before I got my raptor I rode my lakota all the time and always had a fun, its a good quad and very reliable. Its biggest disadvantage is the heavy weight, coming in at 450-460 lbs. I think the z250 weights in at around 360-370 range, thats a pretty big difference.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm guessing that the Z250 would beat the Lakota. The Z250's top speed is supposed to be 55mph stock.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the good info Dirthead!......

I've wondered why my Lakota is so much heavier than my KFX400?.....almost 100 pounds difference!...that's a big disadvantage for the Lakota.....

I've also noticed the Lakota seems to have plenty of "grunt" for climbing hills, but the stock tires (Goodyear Terra) just don't work very well......they dig in very quickly......

Do the ITP Titan tires you have make "that" big a difference over the original Goodyear Terra tires?

ITP Titan Tires

They look similiar in design, although the ITP certainly looks a little better!.....

I might have to consider the mods (in your sig) on my Lakota to help it perform better!......

Old 07-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

BogSpores, hey no problem......before I got my lakota I came to this site and thats where I got all my info as far as upgrades for the lakota. The AT489s I have on the rear I picked out because I wanted a good all purpose tire (i.e. trail, sand, and mud) and they seem to work well in all conditions. I use to take the lakota mud riding with alot of the guys that have 4x4 quads and I could go thru most of the stuff they went thru, as long as I did not follow behind them as they tore it up. All and all, I would say they are a good inexpensive mulit-purpose tire, I would also look into the spider-tracs....as I know these have a solid reputation as an all around tire. Oh, and yes the stock tires really do suck.....seems like with the stock tires I could just look at mud and I would get stuck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Happy trails.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I agree, these stock Goodyear Terra tires suck!......I feel like I'm sliding on snow just riding across sand......I had to air them down below 3 psi to get any traction (in sand) at all......The 3 psi did make a HUGE difference, but they still dig in waaayyyy to much!.....

Also, the tires on my KFX400 are Dunlop's, and they are smaller in diameter, but much wider than the Goodyears.....

Do you think it would be possible to swap wheels and tires on these quads, just to see the difference (if any) there would be in traction?......I'm not even sure if the KFX wheels will fit on the Lakota or not?.....

Old 07-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think the bolt patterns are similar between the lakota and kfx, you could probably tell just by eyeballing it though.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

yeah, I'm just being lazy and not wanting to go outside (in the heat) and unwrap the quads (from under a tarp) just to check the wheels..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

They probably don't have the same bolt pattern anyway........

The other day, I was zooming up this steep, sand covered hill on my KFX......I can rip all the way to the top (it's a long, steep climb), in 2nd gear and accelerate while climbing.......no problem.....

I decided to take the Lakota up the same hill......because of the Lakota's gearing, I had to shift all the way up to 3rd prior to the base of the hill, then my speed and momentum started to die quickly, and I had to shift down to 2nd......then, the tires started slipping (I think?), and I lost even more speed (barely crawling now) and had to shift to 1st.......and, eventually lost enough speed I had to flip around and come down for fear of digging in and getting stuck on the hill........I tried 3 times, and each time, I just couldn't get it to go past 2/3'rds of the way up......The Lakota seems to have plenty of power to climb that hill, if the tires would provide more traction?.......ah, I don't know......maybe it doesn't and I'm simply "spoiled" by the power and traction of my KFX?....... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]