Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Blew out rear shock on my P650

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 03:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew out rear shock on my P650

I went out to Colorado this past weekend to do some serious rock riding. By the end of the third day the back end of the quad felt flat when I would go over a bump. Looked at the rear shock and had oil all over it. Has anyone else had a problem with the rear shock on their 650 Prairie?

Old 07-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

It's happened and they can be rebuilt.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Check out NYROC's web site. It has info on this. A buddy of mine had his rear shock go. He was able to rebuild it and forwarded the info to NYROC.

Old 07-24-2003, 05:02 AM
Range Rover

Adirondack,

do you have any idea how much it costs for the rebuild kit and how hard it is to do? any info would be appreciated. i lost my shock a few months ago and i priced a new one. ouch!!!!! ($769.85) now thats rediculous!!!!! its not too bad w/ just me on the quad (175 lbs) but w/ someone on the back w/ me everytime you hit a bump it bounces for about 1/2 mile. (seems like)

Old 07-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Trailblazer

Hi rammy,
I had the same problem with my rear shock. What had happened was dirt got into the seal and let the oil leak out. On mine all I did was take it apart, cleaned, new oil and then recharged the nitrogen. Been OK since.
If you ran your bike a few months with no oil in the shock chances are you could have done some damage to the shaft and bushing also the piston and shock body and if all that is the case you might want to check into a replacement shock. As far as repairing it yourself all the info for replacement parts or a place to get it repaired is on Nyroc's site. You have to have a way to recharge the nitrogen and that requires special equipment.

Old 07-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Range Rover

krabidKVF650,

the thing that REALLY makes me mad is that when the bike was still under factory warranty, i went out to my truck one morning and there was oil all over the back of the inside of the bed. so i got looking around and i also had oil all over the back of my wheeler. i took it in to the shop to get checked out and told them that it looked like to me that it was oil from the shock because it was all over the shock and had ran down the rear diff. too. when i went to pick the bike up, the mechanic was out to lunch so i didnt get a chance to see what it actually was, all i knew was that it was fixed. well by the time i discovered that my shock had lost its charge, of course the bike was no longer under warrenty. i thought no big deal because it was a pre-existing problem and kawasaki should fix it. i called back up to the shop and they said that when i had it up there for that oil leak that it was my rear diff. leaking, which i know is a freakin lie, so in other words i got screwed out of $769.85. nice huh!!!!

Old 07-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Range Rover

I'm counting on my warranty covering mine. If not, me and the dealership are going to have words. I got stuck paying for a new belt on my 03 Prairie after my first one failed after only 176 miles!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Range Rover

we should have got enough of us together that maybe kawasaki would have had a recall on them or something. i didnt realize that this many people have blown out their shocks.when i posted on here about mine a few months ago, it was pretty much unheard of. you would think that kaw. would do something about this crap!!

Old 07-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

Heck, Kawie woun't even sell the parts to repair the shock. They tell you to replace the complete unit. It's a rebuildable Showa shock. Why use a rebuildable unit then not offer the parts to repair it.

If you get ahold of the fellow that I mention in the Nyroc site he can help you with the parts and most any bike or snowmobile shop should be able to help you out. Or if you want, get the shock to me and I'll do what I can to help. I have the parts to reseal and recharge 1 shock on hand.

Old 07-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Range Rover

Just got off the phone with my repair guy. New shock on the way covered under warranty. I feel a little better now. I just wonder how long I will have to wait for the new one to come in...

Quick Reply: Blew out rear shock on my P650