Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

May have found a good drag race timing tool......

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May have found a good drag race timing tool......

raynist, I did some quick playing around with mine the other day and will need to work with it some more to if it is going to work accurately enough to be viable. I suction cupped mine to the rear fuel cover on the V and go some pretty varied results. I need to try it up front as next. We have had so much rain, I can't get the time to really do much on it. But let me know how it goes so we can compare notes.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

I am hoping that I can mount it to my speedometer glass. How varied were your results? I am hoping I can be consistent since I will be using 4wd and hopefully have little wheelspin.

--ray

Old 08-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

pretty varied, but I must admit, I had a lot of wheel spin because it is so wet, and I was in the mode of just familierizing myself with it. I will need to do some more testing under a more stringent set of rules. Just remember per the instructions, try to keep the quad straight, on as flat a surface as you can, and no wheelies....

I would think pavement would render the most consistent results.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

I think I have a great place to test this. It is two abandoned connected baseball fields with a connected parking lot. I can start off in the parking lot on asphault, and then continue into the fields. I think there is about 400-500 feet of perfectly flat area. I should be able to get up to 50-55 in that span and have room to stop.

--Ray

Old 08-15-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

interesting.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

what are you guys putting in for weight of the bike??

Old 08-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Shotgun, the weight need not be inputed for basic speed/time readings. I think it is only needed to compute horsepower.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer

Turns out I was unable to get a single run timed with this device. I tried about 25 runs and did not get a reading for any run that I started out at full throttle. I am not sure if the bouncing threw it off, or if it was the way the front end comes up during takeoff. I was not pulling wheelies though.

--Ray

Old 08-22-2003, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

here is how my last timed run went:

Had the gtimer hard wired to the battery and fastened to the rear gas lid. It was Monday and it was the ground was dry. I powerbraked and got a good start, and was really rocking and rolling.....then all of a sudden my 10 year old daughter pops around a treeline on our 300ex directly in my path. To keep from smacking her at full throttle, I took a hard left, still brushing her back tire and rolled the V three times. Thank God I didn't hit her..........I on the other hand had my left collar bone broken in two places, and a severely bruised and swollen hip. So to say the least I won't be riding for 4-8 weeks per Dr. orders.

My daughter was gracious enough to go up in the field the next day and drive my V back down to the house for me, funny thing is, the timed run was still on the g-timer:
Top speed: 67.1 mph (and I have the broken bones to prove it!)
330': 6.98 Seconds
max hp : 39

I wish I could have tried out my new pink spring (uno the one that aint pink, but is called pink??) before trashing my collar bone. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2003, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear you and your daughter are ok.

Quick Reply: May have found a good drag race timing tool......