Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bent the shock towers on the 700 Prairie already!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent the shock towers on the 700 Prairie already!

Well, I took the plastic off the front of the 700 Prairie to put on the progressive springs and again just like on the 650 we have bent the shock towers that hold the struts on top! I have only 175 miles on it. 2 weeks ago we were jumping it over a 35 ft table top and clearing it and getting about 6 to 8ft of air!!! It made for some great pictures but now I'm welding in plates to keep it from bending again and breaking the struts! I was really surprised this time because I had the modified front rack on,, when we bent them on the 650 and broke both struts it had no front rack on it. After I put this rack on it they didn't bend again! I guess we are a little hard on it! LOL!!!! I also put the big gun on and jetted it tonight but I ran out of wire in the welder before I got the strut towers done so I have to wait to see if the latest mods can make it faster than the 65mph wall I keep hitting!

Old 08-16-2003, 08:19 AM
Range Rover

Man you guys are nuts, I would love to see you guys do that! I would like to know if there is that big of a differance in the 700 and the 650? Thanks and keep the rubber side down...

Old 08-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am sure that there are a number of subtle differences but on the performance side there is just little more low-end and mid-range punch. On my P700 (in stock form) I can wheelie at will while going really slow on pavement. I've never heard anyone say his P650 could do that (before mods). As long as I hold the throttle the front-end keeps going up. However, I must confess there is a trick to it. I have to keep my speed above 3-5 mph for more than 3-5 sec and then hit the throttle and the front-end is up, no pulling the handlebars or anything like that. And I have to keep the speed above 3-5 mph to keep that full power. And I'll slow down and hit it again and there she goes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I think it’s the low-end timing retard that has to be tricked (the "holeshot" should fix that).

Maybe a stock P650 can do that too (you tell me). With a few mods and a holeshot module I may be able to do it on dirt.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2003, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Prairiewrench,
You should give it to Bob he will feel right at home with a bent machine under him LOL. You need chrome molly tube to go across the shock towers light and durable to. Bend anything else you will have to trade it off onto another new one LOL. Have fun that is the main thing.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Range Rover

I don't think that mine comes up that easy but I I'm a little reluctant to get the module because I do alot of rock crawling and I don't need the sudden burst of power, cause sometimes I have to give it a quick shot of gas to get up over stumps and rocks climing a steep hill and I don't need the front end comming back on me . Thanks for the input though KewiDev.

Old 08-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

6-8 ft of air on a 602 lbs machine, plus fluid's, and your weight?????Lucky you didn't break the frame in half...LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hardwood,
Don't let the fear of sudden boost of acceleration deter you from getting a holeshot module. You can install the holeshot module along with an "on/off" switch to avoid any sudden acceleration when attempting steep hill climbs. I have a switch on P650 (located on my handlebars next to the speedo display), and I prefer to turn the module off before I climb steep hills just to be safe. Also note that the holeshot does not actually cause sudden acceleration unless you hit WOT when travelling 3 mph or less...so this "on/off" switch is actually needed only in those situations where you ascend hills at a very slow pace (i.e., rock climbing).

If you do this, make sure you get the right kind of switch. I drove all over Houston, TX looking for the right type of switch. The DG holeshot instructions tell you to get a SPDT switch, but they fail to mention that it must be the "ON/ON" type so that you can either run the stock signal or the holeshot signal (you don't actually want an "off" position for this switch or else NO signal would go to the igniter).

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2003, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

The news just keeps getting worse,,, both front struts are blown!!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe they must have blown after the first few jumps and beings they are blown it is hitting the ground HARD and bending the mounts! I'm so unhappy with this 700 Prairie I'd love to shove it right back up Kawi's rear! The old 650 ran better, faster, and had more power! It was jumped higher and never blew a strut, and the 650 ran for over 1800 miles with way less problems than I've had with the 700 in 200 miles! I'm starting to think I got a lemon! Today after I realized the struts were blown I was really disgusted cause on the woods trails I couldn't even keep up with an old 200 Honda 3 wheeler,,, not because I didn't have the power and speed but because at every turn the front was diving so hard I about flew off the machine! Yep,,, I'm just a little upset and the Kawi dealer is probley not gonna want to hear from me tomorrow but they have been great to me and hopefully we can get this all worked out!

You may think that maybe I'm jumping it too high but there was 2 650's there that same day and they had no problems and were jumping the same height and distance! There was even a Rincon there that was jumping just about the same as we were but not as far and his machine is fine!

Old 08-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

I made my own brace for these. I will post some pics as soon as possible.

Quick Reply: Bent the shock towers on the 700 Prairie already!