Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Maxxis Bighorn

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxxis Bighorn

Does anyone have Maxxis Bighorns on their Priarie 650/700? I have 2000 miles on the stock tires and I don't think I can get very many more miles out of them. I do a lot of sand, rocks, snow and very little mud. I don't really want to lose the soft ride I have now, but I know I will with a six ply tire. I've heard IPT's quaildy control isn't that great, so I'm pretty sure I don't want to run the ATRs. I just haven't really heard anything about the Bighorns, and I don't know if that's good or bad. Any info would be great! Thanks

Old 08-20-2003, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Maxxis Bighorn

I am very interested in this tire as well. It should ride very well, as it is a radial tire, plus it has a six ply rating. I think that I am going to install them on my Grizz.

Old 08-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Range Rover
Default Maxxis Bighorn

I have a set on mine check out the pic's. I've always had big tires on mine until these big horns on and my fiance' loves them . I miss playing in the deep mud. But they do alot better than stock. They are great for sand and rocks. I've when rideing with someone else with big mud tires they bounce all over the place while climbing rock where i can just ease up them.

Old 08-20-2003, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Maxxis Bighorn

My friend has them on a griz. He likes them a lot. Should last a long time.

He says they flip more mud up on you due to side tread.

He says they suck in snow.

Other than that he really likes them a lot. Better on rocks, better on dirt, better on logs.

Old 08-20-2003, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Maxxis Bighorn

Hey sledgehammer 650 , Iwas wondering how that snorle system works with the air intake (does the bike run the same)?

--------------------------------
2000 prairie 400 4x4
26"589's
1500lb superwinch
with belt snorkle in rear

Old 08-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Maxxis Bighorn

The Holshot ATRs should have " specificly for use on KAW P-650/P-700 " molded into the sidwalls. I can't say enough GOOD about mine! I WILL buy'em again, if I get another Prairie(700).

Old 08-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default Maxxis Bighorn

Nyroc would the Bighorns be better in the snow then the stock tires with 2000 miles on them?

Old 08-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Maxxis Bighorn

My friend that has bighorns has been using mudrunners in the snow. Mudrunners are spectacular in the snow and he has noticed a big lack of snow performance with bighorns compared to mudrunners. Get a second sed of tires for the snow. Wider=better.

I heard that the early runs of the ATR were bad and that they fixed it. I am not sure I would tell people it is not a reliable tire. It is reliable enough. The bighorn is tougher, and I think it can be proven. That doesn't mean the ATR is bad, it is good.

TRX450 and many others love it and haven't had problems with them. I know that ITP has marketed the ATR a lot more, and more effectively than maxxis has the bighorn.

The bighorn was made with extra durability in mind for use in the west on rocky terrain. If I lived in UT, AZ, NV I might be more likely to get the bighorn.

If you don't ride on a lot of rocks, I think the ATR is probably a better all around tread.

Old 08-21-2003, 01:50 AM
Trailblazer
Default Maxxis Bighorn

How are they in the mud? My problem is that I ride sloppy mud trails with jagged rocks in them.

Old 08-21-2003, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Maxxis Bighorn

He says they are fine as long as the mud isn't deep and goey.

I went riding with a KFX400 and a V700 recently. We stopped and I watched them jump in a gravel pit. I didn't jump the prairie. Then let me ride their machines.

Then, we found a mud pit. I rode through it a few times. Then I let them go through it a few times each on the 650. They had a riot. After we got done the mud pit was a lot stickier, and mud was deeper.

Some people don't realize how cool mud is until they ride in it.

Quick Reply: Maxxis Bighorn