Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

My weekend at the drags

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My weekend at the drags

We had a atv jamboree this past weekend in N.H. There were a lot of nice quads there, and they were ready to drag. These drags were more try to find someone to drag rather then classes. I did a total of 6 drags of 250' (that's as much as they could get) 2 were time ones, the other 4 were 2 against a stock DS650, and the other 2 was a piped and a jet kit Raptor,

The guy on the DS asked to race, and the kind of guy I am, I said no problem. The first race was very close, but my wife said I beat him. (She knows how to get on my good side). The 2nd race we switch sides, and I rev up the engine untill I was engaged, then let it rip, and I was able to beat him by 1/2 a lenth. Wife didn't need to tell me that one. Gave him a high five, and said nice race. Right after that race, the Piped Raptor asked me to race, again no problem. I'm out to have a good time. Well we lined them up, and i rev up the V Force and off we went. The Raptor beat me by 1/2 a lenth, then we switched sides and he beat me by a lenth. But considering I'm all stock (except a stock Polaris primary spring) I felt pretty good. But I believe if this were a 300' race, the DS would of won, and the Raptor would of beat me worse. On my timed runs of 250', I did a 5.09 and a 5.08.

Now the Raptor that raced me, then went up against a YFZ450 stock. The YFZ got the hole shot, and held on to a 1/2 bike win, but the way the Raptor was coming on, I believe in a 300' drag, the Raptor would of won. I saw that Raptor get a 4.74 time, and the guy on the YFZ get a 4.70. I was impressed with the YFZ. But what really shocked me was, I was the only KFX700 that raced, and I only saw 3 in total in which one was mine. Not a very good showing for the V-Force. But there were ton's of Raptors and Z-KFX400, DS, Banshees and a few Predators. Some of the guys on the Predators made them look bad. It's allmost like they never draged at all. There was only one stock Predator rider there that seemed to know what to do, the others seemed like rookies. But the best part of the drags was, watching the little kids drag with there 90's. Now the kid Predator 90 whoop butt on everyone. This poor kid on a LT80 kept on trying, but by the end of 250' he was about 4-5 quads behind. Maybe the guys on the Predator 500 should take a lesson from the kid on the 90.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Here at the drags the YFZ in stock form is the bike to beat running around 5.3 to 5.4 in 300 feet
The V Foce about 5.4 - 5.6
The Predator stock 5.5 - 5.6
the DS about 5.6-5.7
and the Raptor runs about 5.5 - 5.6

we usually have a lot of close racing with the yfz's I think yamaha built a raptor killer and they dont know it yet.

Want a little boost out of that VForce try changing the shift out on the secondary. The midrange hangs you for a second as proven on our dynos - holds steady for about 6 MPH before shifting

Old 08-25-2003, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Want a little boost out of that VForce try changing the shift out on the secondary. The midrange hangs you for a second as proven on our dynos - holds steady for about 6 MPH before shifting
Would you care to elaborate on that please....

Old 08-25-2003, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

The four Vforces we have ran seem to have some sort of shift out issue around 38-44 MPH on four diff ones. So I am to assume it is by design. If you can get that lag out of there in the Torque range ie by getting it to shift there then you should be able to obtain top speed faster. We have tried springs helps a little take out about 3 of those MPHs but that is all.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Dustin

I put the same stock pring in my V Force that you have in you Scambler X. And now I don't feel that flat spot. Maybe it's still there, but I can't feel it. It now climbs steady from low end to top.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

Does that mean that the Scrambler spring is better than the pink one from EPI? I'm looking for the best setup with stock pipe. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

We could not feel it riding it either but the dyno says it is there and I think that is wierd. My Scrambler had a flat spot and I changed the helix first time I made it worse then the second one I asked AAEN and they got me lined out

Old 08-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DirtDragon
Does that mean that the Scrambler spring is better than the pink one from EPI? I'm looking for the best setup with stock pipe. Thanks!
I have not tried the pink spring, but I am very happy with the Scrambler 400X 4x4 spring.

Old 08-26-2003, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

DustinMinnesota, are you sure about the times for 300ft.? The 5 second range sounds really slow compared to what I have read here on this forum. There is a guy on here that has a V-Force with stock pistons and cams, and he can run 350 feet in only 3.24 seconds! You better let those guys know how slow they are.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: prairie633
DustinMinnesota, are you sure about the times for 300ft.? The 5 second range sounds really slow compared to what I have read here on this forum. There is a guy on here that has a V-Force with stock pistons and cams, and he can run 350 feet in only 3.24 seconds! You better let those guys know how slow they are.
LoL..350' in 3.24 seconds was a bad joke.

Quick Reply: My weekend at the drags