Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

v-force overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v-force overheating

I bought a V Force in June and I love the power. It handles pretty well for a quad this size. I do alot of trail riding and with the weather this summer in New York, there's plenty of mud! My V gets hotter than hell and the warning light comes on. I have narrowed it down to the radiator getting caked with crud very easily. I made it about 14 miles into a dice run with a considerable amount of mud and the problems started. Once I clean the radiator, the cooling system works fine. This isn't always possible when you're in the sticks. Kawasaki claims that there isn't a problem, but I beg to differ. There are no air bubbles in the cooling system, the fan works fine, jetting is fine and the thermostat is good.I think I have fixed the problem for good. I drained and flushed the cooling system and replaced the coolant with "engine ice" and made some splash guards w/ an $8 rubber mud flap from Napa. I cut the rubber to fit the triangle shaped opening made by the frame behind the front shocks. Then I cut pieces to fit in the opening above the shock and the uppermost frame tubes. Finally I cut a flap to cover the opening between the radiator and the coolant resevoir/filler cap. I zipped tied it all in place. The right side upper piece has to be cut down a little more due to the snorkle. The lower pieces are identical. I rode at Paragon in PA on Sunday and hit every mud hole and swamp I could find and the temp light didn't come on once! I know three other guys in the area w/ V's and they're having the sme problem.

Old 09-03-2003, 11:36 AM
Trailblazer

do you have some pics. I am very interested in doing this mod. My bike keeps overheating.

Old 09-03-2003, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll take off the plastic and gets some good photos for you. It's a pretty simple fix that you would think the factory could have come up with prior to selling these things. I'll get all the measurements for you also.

Old 09-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

you may also want to try wrapping the exhaust with exhaust wrap, napa has it, i put it on the front portion of my exhaust and it made a big difference in how much the fan runs...just a thought