Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

is this possible

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 05:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this possible

is it possible for the whining of the tranny on the p650 to get louder than usual? if so, is there anything you can grease or something to help? yes, i know it whines but it just seems like its getting louder. all the honda owners i ride w/ tell me that it sounds like one of those battery operated barbie jeeps that you buy at wal-mart.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default is this possible

It is in the crankcase. Whatever you feed it, the engine has to deal with it too. Try synthetic Mobil V-twin. It is thicker when hot.

Their is either something wrong with your tranny, of there is something wrong with your honda buddies.

It may be OK to drive a honda, but it is downright stupid to be a "Honda Bigot". They might just be envious of power, handling, diff lock, wet sealed brake and other stuff they don't have. So they pick at your 650 because of the whine.

Old 09-05-2003, 04:01 AM
Range Rover
Default is this possible

Nyroc,

doesnt your whine at all? i dont ride w/ anyone who has a p650 to compare the whine but it just seems like its louder than it was when i first got it. it does it alot louder in low than it does in high. and since you guys say its better to run it in low (creek riding) thats what i do but its kinda annoying after awhile! ive heard people on here say that the whining is the straight cut gears. is that true? if theres something to quiet it down then i'll try it!!

Old 09-05-2003, 05:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default is this possible

the prairie is a noisy beast.......get used to it. The honda guys are just jealous cause they can't keep up with you so they are putting ideas in your head to slow you down.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

l8r
cart

Old 09-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default is this possible

Yes, mine makes that noise. They all do.

It is straight gears. You would have to get new gears designed differently to stop that sound. They are cheaper, lighter, smaller, stronger but noisier.

Kawsasaki could have given us a quiet transmission, but it might have been at the expense of diff lock, KEBC, wet brakes or something else that Honda typically leaves out of their ATV's.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Range Rover
Default is this possible

Nyroc,

thanks for the info once again, but why did you say there might be something wrong w/ my tranny? were you just pi$$ing w/ me?! so switching to synthetic Mobil V-twin probably WONT help then? sorry, i just dont know much about them.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default is this possible

I can't hear your tranny from here, I 'm not sure if there is something wrong with it. You have to be the judge of that. Some people use V-twin. I wouldn't use it in colder climates. Mobil MX4t is what I use.

I do know that they all whine. I can tell when a 650 is coming, it sounds like there is a turbine engine in them.

Soome people notice it less than others. You can look on my website for the exhaust mod info. Do it. If you do small holes it will sound so cool it will distract the honda bigots (it wont be very much louder with 6 3/8" holes). Or, if you drill large holes it will be so loud they won't notice the tranny anymore.

Problem solved. Every time people hear mine they comment on the cool exhaust tone.

I never hear anyone say "your transmission is noisy".

Old 09-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Range Rover
Default is this possible

You just need a louder exhaust. LOL