Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Please don't call me stupid

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please don't call me stupid

Ok, so maybe I am stupid. I drove for a long way to ride with some other guys. When I got there, I realized I left my key at home. I hated to turn around and go home without riding, so I decided to hot wire my 650. I had the service manual and it showed a brown and white wire being tied together when the key was on. But there was a gray wire, too. I tied the brown and white wire and the display came on and I tried to crank it. It turned and turned and wouldn't crank. So we studied the service manual some more and found another schematic that showed the gray wire is supposed to be tied. So I tied all three and tried to crank it. It turned and turned and would sputter briefly but would never fire enough to crank. We figured that I had flooded it bad and I would wait a while and try again. Still the same thing...sputter, but never start. So I drove back home without getting to ride. The next day, I tried to crank it again. It would only sputter, but that was it. Did I mess something up by trying to hotwire it??? Please say I didn't cook my CDI!

Old 09-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer

my 02 did much the same thing when a wire shorted in the main harnes. It cooked my cdi and I had to replace it. Sorry for the news and I hope this is not your problem.

Old 09-08-2003, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

OMG! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

uh oh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2003, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

DOH!!!!!

Old 09-08-2003, 06:57 AM
Pro Rider

Get some foil duct tape and tape a spare key some where on the quad. Be sure to alcohol prep the spot.

Old 09-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

RebelDS, you cannot "hot wire" the Prairie 650 this way. It has a built in security feature which prevents this. You should not have damaged anything by connecting the wires together. When using the key, check for spark to test the igniter.

Old 09-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

I keep an extra "set" of quad keys for our quads on the ring of keys for my trailer locks, that I keep in the armrest of my truck... I also keep a bright colored nylon strap ( 6" ) on each key, to help finding them if dropped in the grass... one time before I kept the spare keys in the truck, I dropped the key to the 650, in the grass at a trail we had just left, after getting to the next trail, & not having the key, we had to go back, & someone had found it, because of the bright colored nylon strap... one of my riding buddies, cable ties his right to the quad... I don't like this method, however, as he can't remove the key...WAM

Old 09-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks. I haven't used the key yet because I haven't tied the ignition swith in yet. I was waiting till today so I could get some of that rubber coating material to waterproof where I splice it and do it right. Hopefully, that's all there is to it. I think how stupid I am to do that, but when I drove that far to ride and others were there riding and all I could do was watch, I lost clear thinking.

Old 09-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Trailblazer

Hook the switch back up it should work. I had the same problem with mine not starting and it was in the switch.

Quick Reply: Please don't call me stupid