Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

K-EBC Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 12:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K-EBC Question

Greetings,

I've got this issue with the K-EBC on my 2003 P650. When last I had my p650 at the dealers (for the initial service) I had them check the braking system and was told that what it is doing is normal. I'm having trouble believing this because the way it is currently functioning seems downright dangerous.

When I go down either a moderate or a steep hill it feels (and sounds) like the K-EBC is clicking on and off. That is, when beginning decending the hill, I can feel and hear the system actuate, but it seems that if the wheel locks up and slides even a tiny (we're talking as little as an inch or less) the K-EBC will click off. It will do this all the way down the hill. (Truth be told, I'm not entirely positive that the wheel(s) are actually locking and sliding.) What I am positive about is that the unit clicks on and off.

When on a steep hill, speed can increase in an extremely big hurry and when that K-EBC kicks in it will darn near toss you over the handlebars (if you're not very ready for it).

I bought the extended warranty so If this thing is malfunctioning, it'll be covered...so I want to get it replaced ASAP. BTW, the machine has done this since the day one. Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

Moo,
WheelCow

Old 09-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default K-EBC Question

Are you in low range? Is your shift lever jumping? It sound to me like you need to adjust your shift linkage. You are jumping out of gear.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default K-EBC Question

Like krabid said, if there is a clicking sound there is something wrong, most probably shift linkage, but possibly KEBC.

My 650 KEBC sometimes pulsates in low range when going down a really steep hill at slow speeds. I think this is because my belt is so tight. It doesn't make any noise other than the KEBC motor whir. It never cuts out, it keeps on slowing me down. I just ignore it.

When on a steep hill, speed can increase in an extremely big hurry and when that K-EBC kicks in it will darn near toss you over the handlebars (if you're not very ready for it).
That is definitely not normal for it to delay operation and then hit hard.

Old 09-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default K-EBC Question

My K-EBC on my P700 does the same thing. When I start to go down hill and the engine is at idle, you can hear the K-EBC motor actuate which feels like you are dragging an anchor, and a few moments later it disengages and then a few seconds later it re-engages it will do this most of the way down the hill. Pulsate is a good word for it. If I hold the RPM's up a little it stays engaged all the way down the hill. The bike definetely is not popping out of gear. I have 33 hrs. on it now and it has done it since day one. I don't think I have tried to go down a hill in low range yet. I am usually in high gear.

Old 09-15-2003, 01:31 PM
Range Rover
Default K-EBC Question

The questions first:

Yes I am in low range (never tried going down a steep hill in high range). Also, I am usually in 4-wheel drive. I have tried it in 2-wheel drive, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

No, the shift lever is not jumping at all.

The sound I mentioned is clearly coming from the KEBC unit. I do hear the KEBC motor whir which nyroc mentioned, but then I'll hear sort of a clicking sound (the KEBC disengaging?) and the KEBC motor whir will stop and the machine will speed up.....then another clicking sound (the KEBC engaging?) and the machine will slow (rather abruptly, severely......even dangerously).

This will continue all the way down the hill with the duration between the KEBC clicking on and off having no real rhyme or reason. The situation is so bad I really try to avoid letting the KEBC unit kick in and am relying on the front and rear brakes alone (which, of course, is not as it should be).

So...should I tell (demand) that my dealer replace the KEBC unit or is there an adjustment which could be made to the unit?

I really appreciate all your expertise guys....thanks.

Moo,
WheelCow