Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Water wetter and the P650

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water wetter and the P650

We are all aware that the 650's run fairly warm. I have never heard of water wetter before. Will it bring done the temp.? Any possible negative aspects? If the 650's run warm up here in eastern Canada, I can't imagine how warm they must run down south. Thanks all...

Old 09-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

My,buddy used it in his 650 and didn't notice a difference in temp drop,on the down side you have to dain and replace with anti freeze before winter because Water Wetter will freeze.

Old 09-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

Not an ATV but I used a Water Wetter type stuff in a Shelby Dodge I used to have and it caused the anti-freeze to foam up and the cooling system didn't work right at all until I flushed it. The Water Wetter didn't help anything.

Old 09-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Range Rover

Water Wetter is best used with distilled water and no antifreeze. This of course is a problem if you live in cold climates. I'm in Southern California and it has made a very real difference in the operating temp in my p650. Initially, I'd just added WW to the water and AF mix and really didn't notice any improvement. I wrote to Red Line Oil and asked their opinion. Their response below:

"Water transfers heat substantially better than antifreeze and will reduce temperatures. In your Kawasaki I would recommend adding 4 ounces of WaterWetter to a gallon of distilled water and filling the cooling system, without
any antifreeze.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil"

This is what I did and I am pleased.

Moo,
WheelCow

Old 09-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Wrap the exhaust pipe with heat wrap (highlifter has it) for the first 12 inches or so on the front cylinder exhaust.

You can use water wetter with antifreeze. Use water wetter with 50/50. It is not as good as water wetter without antifreeze, but helps a little and is safe for winter and is better to prevent corrosion.

Make sure that your needles and mains aren't set lean. It makes you make more heat.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

Has anybody tried anything else? I was at the local ATV parts place and he has this stuff instock that you put directly into the radiator,no mixing, works like anti-freeze and drops the operating temps down significantly.Sorry,I don't have a brand name but it was like $16 for about a qt bottle and it was blue in color.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

I sell a new product that will not over heat,does not exspand so you can run low pressure caps and it does not mix with water.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

How 'bout the stuff by Royal Purple? Purple Ice or someting like that? Is all this mearly an additive, or does it replace all the coolant? It's gets down to 0 and sometime below zero where I live.
So in the summer run it and in the winter don't?

Old 09-18-2003, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Cleve, was it called engine ICE? I think it does the same thing as water wetter.

Mickey are you talking about that Evans NPG+ stuff? I was wondering how that stuff did in a 650.

Old 09-19-2003, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PADZZ,

I run Purple Ice (made by Royal Purple) radiator coolant additive in my P650 and it does help some in the hot Texas heat. Since I added Purple Ice, I have noticed that my radiator fan doesn't come on as frequently as it did without the PI. However, in really hot and dusty conditions, my fan still comes on and occasionally it runs for a long time (it did this without PI as well). I would have to guess that PI works similarly to Wetter Water as they are both coolant additives. However, I've read that Engine ICE works well and is supposed to be a replacement for the coolant(not merely an additive)...however, I've also read that Engine ICE costs more than PI or Wetter Water.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Water wetter and the P650