Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 tire poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 tire poll

In the market for some tires for the 650.(i have already looked at old posts contridicting) The tire has to be able to handle snow better than the stockers since im in NY. It must be punture resistant. Has to be good in hard pack, dirt drags, and fast trails. Needs to be able to handle light mud/deep water.(beaver pond) Also looking for a light tire and stock size. Im looking at the ATR's, regular Big horns, Sur trak or the All trak.
So tell me what you think[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Thanks

Old 09-16-2003, 07:15 PM
Range Rover
Default P650 tire poll

the Goodyear Mud Runners are an excellent tire for everything you specified. I run them in stock size and they are in the low to mid 20lb range!

Old 09-16-2003, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default P650 tire poll

ITP Mudlites. Excellent all around tire. Highly recommended

Old 09-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default P650 tire poll

WOW !!! you want the perfect tire ... sorry, so do I... but the best we can do is match as close as we can to our wants...you would be much better served by at least 2 sets of tires, as some of what you are after will conflict with each other...

light mud, deep water tires have very little in common with dirt drags & fast trail tires... you want an open tread to self clean the mud out of the tires for the beaver pond... a taller than stock tire would be much better for deep water than a stock size tire... none of the tires you listed would even be close to anything I'd ever slip into a beaver pond with, all of these tires will plug the tread & basically turn into slipery slicks, the Sure traks being the best of the tires you listed for this purpose... for the dirt drags, you'd want as tight a tread as possible, with as many biting edges as possible, the ATR's & All Traks would both be good for this, they would also work well for high speed trail riding

as far as handling snow, what kind of snow do you intend to ride in ??? if it's deeper than your tires can reach the ground, you want as light, wide & non aggressive a tire as you can get, so you can stay on top... if it's not that deep, then you want a tall narrow tire to cut through to the ground, to give you good control...

of what you have listed, I'd probably buy 4 - rear ATR's to mount all the way around, as my 1st choice, either the All Traks or the ( radial ) Big Horns next, with the Sur Traks last...

Tires I'd consider also or before these would include 25" - 26"Goodyear Mudrunners, 26" ( new ) radial Outlaws, the new 25" Carilisle radial Badlands, the new 26" Goodyear radial Rawhide...

I personnally want the best, for each situation, & own more than 1 set of tires & wheels... there are a lot on new tires coming on the market, that will work better than some of whats already out there, but you just really need to ask yourself whats important to do well, & if it's important enough to spend the money on a second set of tires, to be able to do 4-5 things really well... WAM

Old 09-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default P650 tire poll

I really dont do much mud/ deep water, so i guess thats not to big of an issue as long as i can still go. The snow will be any where from a dusting to over a foot. This past winter i was able to climb a very steep hill about 300+ ft long and had a foot to 2 foot of snow on it. I was able to semi stay on top i draged the belly all the way up to the top.

2 sets of tires? I dont have enough money for that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Thanks for the opinions keep them coming thanks

Old 09-16-2003, 08:21 PM
Range Rover
Default P650 tire poll

Well as far as the ATR's go I'm not so sure on these tires making a good (fast) trail tire. I got a new set and have about 250mi. on them, so far and they do handle very well and ride great if you keep the air at about 4lbs but they rolled over too much in the turns, so I cranked up the air pressure to 5and a half pounds, and it handles real good but the durabilaty is not as good as I thought it would be for a 6ply.tire so far I got one side wall flat that took 2 plugs and now I just noticed that I have another chunk of the side wall missing on the other rear tire. I tell you for a 6ply. tire they are not that tough. Its the side walls that are weak.
I had Bear Claws before and they did'nt handle near as well but I only got one flat in a year of riding. I have to say that I ride in alot of rocks and I do drive a little fast on them, but then that is why I got a 6ply tire. Just thought I would give you a little input, I hope this helps....

Old 09-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default P650 tire poll

i say go with the mudlites. great all around tire. awesome in the mud. awesome on hard packed. the only thing i haven't tried yet is snow. i will find that out soon enough but i am sure they are going to be better than the stock duncrap waste of rubber.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer
Default P650 tire poll

Hey all..
jwkawi ..Will those 26x12x12 and 26x10x12 fit good on stocker wheels? I don't have the coin right now for fancy wheels but I like the design of the Mudlites and thinking about purchasing the one size up like those.. Is there any performance loss with the size up factor?
How does the plow work in the snow on your machine.. Thinking about one of those also..
Thanks

Old 09-17-2003, 04:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default P650 tire poll

I have Mud Lites on my stock rims...26x12x12 rear, 26x10x12 front. No problems so far. I keep the rear pressured to 4psi and the front at 3.5psi. They are a very stiff tire and ride hard on trails. I may try dropping the pressure some more and see how it goes...

Old 09-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default P650 tire poll

Well I have to say the stockers are best for snow but they are weak and crappy. So I recommend you go for a radial tire, ATR or big horn should do well. You do not want a to aggressive tire for deep snow or else you will sink out of sight. I bought the mud lites and at first I liked them but they are fairly weak too I find, atleast the 25" feel like a 4 ply tire instead of a 6 ply. I now run my outlaws almost all the time, I like them better for my needs except for deep snow riding.

Any tire is better than the stockers in mud so what ever you get will be better, the ATR or big horn will do just fine in mud and water, just don't expect them to be a pure mud tire.

Quick Reply: P650 tire poll