Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Why C-series over stock rims?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why C-series over stock rims?

...yes, they look nicer.
Aren't C series heavier?
Thinking of 25 or 26 inch mudlites for my 700, will those mount fine on the stock rims?

So, WHY? Can't the stockers hold up to the abuse?

Old 09-17-2003, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

i stay with stockers they save you 10 pounds . and that is a very impotant 10 pounds , just think of where those 10 pounds would be placed if you got c-Ceries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2003, 06:33 AM
Pro Rider

You Know? After a while most ATV's get pretty worn looking, and then there are these pretty wheels on a worn scratched up machine. I have seen Camo machines with these wheels on them. And the weight? But if strength over stock is what you need?

Old 09-17-2003, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

no doubt the stock wheels are lighter... but many people end up bending them, with hard use... if you do a search, you'll find a long list of people complaining about the stock wheels... Kawasaki's Prairie wheels are like a mid weight aluminum wheel ... aluminum wheels are typically 3 different weights ( thickness ) of aluminum... .125, .160, & .190 ( I think these numbers are right ), so even the heavier grade of stamped aluminum wheels will be stronger than the stock wheels, but marginally heavier...

I have many sets of wheels & tires, the stock wheels are generally "true" to start with... I was hesitant to buy the "mags", after my expirience with the old automotive mags I grew up with in the 70's, so I bought several sets of ( much more expensive ) Magnum Billet wheels... these wheels have a welded center, & can be horribly untrue & out of balance... I personally have never had a problem with bending a stock wheel, but as I race hare scrambles & mud bog races, I compete with a heavier duty wheel... during these competitions, I have witnessed the C series wheels take much more abuse that I ever though they could... I wouldn't think twice about buying them before the Magnum Billets, with what I've seen of how they perform...

even though the wheels are heavier, the further out from the center of the axel, that the weight is increased on the rotational mass, the more it effects accereration & breaking... as the weight of most tires is in the tread area ( the furthest from the center of the axel ), tires much more influence this than the wheels... this said, on an underpowered quad, such as our 300 Prairie, removing the stock steel wheels, adding the stock 650 Prairie wheels, & keeping the light weight Dunflats, has real helped the power & acceration of that quad...

If you're not total hard on your ride, run the stock wheels, until or if you bend them up enough to make them unuseable...WAM

Old 09-17-2003, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

People get the C-Series because they have mud tires, the mud lites will fit on stock rims because they have no side lug. I had to get C-Series rims for my outlaws or else they would not clear the muffler or the gas tank. I don't believe in spacers so I got the C-Series rims. So far they are very nice and surprisingly not that heavy.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

The C-series also have a 1" greater off set than the stock combined with the wider tires you'll also be about 4 inches wider front and rear which may or may not pose a problem for you or your type of riding but something else to consider.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

4" ?? Maybe you mean 2"?

Old 09-18-2003, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

I have measured the width of my P650 with stock setup and with the ATR/C-series combo. Here is what I have wrote down in my personal notebook from months ago.

Stock width Front 43.5" Rear 45.0".

ATR/C-series Front 45.5" Rear 47.25"

I measure my width by placing pieces of 2x6 boards on the outsides of the tires and measureing the inside distance. Pretty simple and extremely accurate. BTW, my wood is straight too.

Old 09-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

I thought it would only be 2" thanks to your straight wood we now have hard evidence.....lol......that was unintentional. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

LOL, I was thinking someone might come back with a woody comment. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Why C-series over stock rims?