Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

long term reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long term reliability?

I applaude your decision to look for the most reliable ride. I think the key is to put the factors that matter to you in a list of importance.
An example for you might be

1. Reliability
2. Ride
3. Handling
4. features

This means reliablitly is number one on your list

1. Reliability= Honda
2. Ride= Honda
3. Handling= Honda
4. Features= Kawi (diff lock, disk brakes)
5. Piece of mind= Honda
6. Fun= Kawi

Somebody else might prioritize their list different and go Kawi.

I have the Rubiconn and my buddy has the 03 Prairie. I do drive mine easier but haven't had a problem ( i Know others have). He drives his prairie hard and it is an awesomly fast machine. However it does have it's downfall. From the factory he had to add better skid plates because there isn't much there, He added front shocks because the thing nose dived in the corners, (all of this was correctable). The thing I don't like and it would prevent me from buying the bike is that the belt needs to be maintained. Meaning it has to be adjusted, the clutch itself wears out, it is just too much like a snowmobile clutch and they just need too much maintenance. I am also scared of the fact that almost all Belt drive trannies eventual leak and let water to the belt. His hasn't yet but I can't help but think that as the plastic cover and rubber seals get older they will shrink and let water in. His front diff leaks(but then again he beats on the machine.

Don't get me wrong the Kawi is one fun machine (in terms of riding I like it better) but it just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling it will be with me in 10 years. If you trade every three years I'd go Kawi as well.

Just my two cents