Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

So really, whats the deal with twist throttles on ATV's ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So really, whats the deal with twist throttles on ATV's ???

My buddy and I just put the Motion Pro twist throttle on our KFX 400's last Sunday. Last night we took mine off and we're taking my buddies off tonight. Maybe we didn't give it enough time to get used to them but we found it very difficult to drive with the twist throttles in tight trails or when sliding and driving aggresively. They were not what we expected. We were excited about putting them on but after only a few laps in the trails we desperately wanted the thumb throttles back on! Just thought I'd offer this piece of info.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Have you guy's spent much time on motocycles ???

I did do a little riding on my 650 with the twist on my trails ( flat ground ), before putting it down for the rebuild.... I'm looking forward to training on the bluff trails for some extreme riding... If its good enough for Mike Pendlands race quad... I'll just have to try to get used to it.... for a normal 90 minute - 2 hour hare scramble, the thumb gets pretty crampy... the 12 hours race would be brutal IMO with the thumb throttle...WAM

Old 10-09-2003, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Actually my buddy rode motorcycles quite a bit and that was the reason he thought (and myself) that the twist throttle would be better. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to them but in the short time that we had the twist throttle on, we had several close calls, nearly losing control. We tend to drive very aggresively in tight trails where there is no room for errors. Again just my opinion.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

After riding bikes for 30 something years there can be nothing harder to use or feel more awkward and unsafe than a thumb throttle. Anyone that has started with the thumb may well feel the same about the twist but for the life of me I can't understand why. With the twist you have a full grip at all times and with the thumb your only grip is with 4 fingers because your thumb has to be elsewhere.

Thanks to Newbeatle's info from last week my twist should be here today as it didn't show yesterday. Finally, I'll get rid of my biggest gripe with this thing and be able to ride in comfort.

Old 10-11-2003, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

Newbeetle, is there any way you could get me a photo of your twist throttle?

Old 10-11-2003, 02:39 AM
Trailblazer

i agree that the twist throttle would be to hard to handle and the thumb throttle is very tiring. is there something that you can do to the thumb throttle to help against fatigue. something that you can use on the mx track?

and while im here let me ask what you guys do when you take a hard right corner. i have come up with my own solution but i dont know if it is the right one. when going into a hard right corner and still need the gas and i am leaning to far over to reach it, i will reach over the grip and work the throttle with my index finger. is this good, bad, or ugly?

Old 10-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

Myself and anybody that has done any slalom racing will tell you that's how we do it: right-hand bar up against your stomach, hand over the grip and run the thumb throttle with the fingers.

Old 10-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Well the 3 guys from my race team had the chance to go train with our twist throttles, on the knarliest trails I know of, rim flattening rocks, up hill & down hill jumps ( eroision barriers ), in very steep 300' + hills lots of tight twisty turns... the verdict for us was positive... the twist stays on my race quad ( 750 is still being assembled )... we had 3 quads 1 - stock '03 650 Prairie, with a twist... 1 - modified '01 300 Prairie full time 4 X 4, with a twist... & 1 older Bayou with a thumb throttle & extender... we all took turns riding as hard as we could for several hours Friday afternoon... hard enough to all get blisters on our non throttle hands... it takes getting used to, but none of us expirienced the thumb fatigue we would have normally, & even though we were all riding hard... & had some close calls... no one was in the trees, nothing broken ... a good days ride...

the one thing bad thing we noticed by riding in the hills, is that if we didn't get completely off the throttlle, the K-BEC wouldn't kick in... this resulted in mentally shifting our hands a second position on the throttle ( in extreme condtions ), to insure we were conpletely off the throttle... this was especially noticable on the steep down hills while negotiating the rocks & bolders

still no down side I notice to putting on the twist...

NYROC... getting a picture is easy... having a place to post them for me is the hard part... what are you looking for ??? I'll shoot a few this next week... I'll be out of town on Monday & Tuesday for some product developement work... if you P.M. me your e-mail address... I'll try to get you some specific pictures, by the middle of next week...

one of the guys over at "Nation" has posted some pictures of Mike Pendlands quad... & if you look just right, you'll see the thumb throttle is missing on his quad as well...

BLAZIN... that is how I corner during hare scrambles for hard right turns... but I have a hard time in that position, shifting my weight over the side of the quad ... & it slows me down... with the twist, I was able to shift my weight, & was able to slide through the hard right corners, like I have been able to do, with the hard left corners... WAM

Old 11-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Motion pro now makes a complete kit for the kawi big bores. I put it on my quad and will not replace it with anything else.