Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

700 Prairie can'T decide 2wd or 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 Prairie can'T decide 2wd or 4wd

Originally posted by: sirmill
hey hardwood,
MY friend and I both bought new P700's and his blinks 2wd/4wd all of the time. he has 50 miles or so on his. I just read the owners manual and it says " Flashing 2wd/4wd indicator lights signal a manfunction of the Kawasaki Engine Brake control (KEBC) system or the selectable 2wd/4wd system. A flashing interval of .5 seconds indicates a malfunction with the 2wd/4wd actuator, a 1 second interval indicates the K-EBC atcuator is malfunctioning, and a 2 seconds interval if both actuators are malfunctioning." in either case, you have to take it to the shop.

Mine did it for about 15 seconds and it went away after I turned the bike off and re-started it. It doesn't seem to affect his 2wd or 4wd capabilities, it's just annoying. Anyone else had this problem???

One question, what's up with the delay in switching to 4wd and back to 2wd? Is it a timed delay or do the gears just have to mesh up? any tricks getting it into 4wd quickly?
Later guys
My dealer already tried everything the service manual says so today i called him and told him it did it again and he called an R & D for kawasaki that he know in california. this guy says he had at least 10 reports of this problem where both actuators have been replaced and the problem still acures. he thinks the fuse marked e/g brk is breaking contact for a fraction of a second due todust getting in there. they said to bring it in and they will do this or i could try it. pull the fuse and twist the fuse blades slightly and put some di electric grease on them and put it back. twisting it will make it fit tighter and the grease will help keep the dust out of it.
well i said i would try it since he about 60 mile away and i want to ride this weekend.
i don't feel to confident that this is the problem because i pulled the fuse and the conection was real tight. but i will try it anyway. talk to everyone thats following this after the weekend.

Old 11-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just came from the dealer last night found out that all 7 700's he has sold are having the smae problem
and kawasaki is playing stupid like we are the only ones that they have herd of with no ans yet . when the light's are blinking the 4wd is inop all most rolled last weakend when it decided to start blinking half way up a sandy steep hill

I need help

Old 11-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

Hurl
my buddies and mine have both done this at least 10 times each.
twice, when i stopped and just releasded my brake the thing took off like i was giving it gas but i wasn't.
my buddies did it once for him and then it did it at the dealers and the machanic almost ran into his bench.
with just your near accident and ours you would think kawasaki would be more concerned about liability.
if someone gets hurt it could cost them alot more than it would to replace a couple of 4-wheelers.
i thought it was weird that my buddies and mine were the only 2 that did this. it would be interesting to find out how many others are doing this and then talk class action to kawasaki.
the service manager i'm dealing with told me to clean the fuse block and fuses and put die-electric grease on the contacts.
i did and have only gotten to ride it once since then and it didn't do it. i don't think that would do the trick but i did it so we could rule that out.

Old 11-14-2003, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I tryed the fuse thing it worked till I on loaded the quad from my truck. that is just a reason to stall till they can find out what is realy going on but the better figer it out quick the snow is coming and comming soon.

Old 03-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

kawasaki did it they sent me and my friend new 700's they could not fix them

Old 03-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Range Rover

Hey Hurl,
congrats on the new quads. My buddies P-700 finally gave out. the 4wd stopped working while we were out camping for a weekend. It was at the dealers for a month and a half and they replaced some sensor and they said that there was a bad connection somewhere. they put di-electric grease on it and it works now. I hope it doesn't do it again. Mine hasn't flashed at all. I think this is a common problem.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

Wow Hurl,

Thats amazing!
Can you give me the name of that dealer?
Mine is back in the shop with the same thing.
Its been there for a week and three days and I haven't heard from them yet.
I figue I'll wait until Friday and call.
I'll tell them about your dealer and see where that goes.
When did your first start?
I'm glad to hear you got yours taken care of
Thanks for any info you can give me.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

it was not my dealer that did it all they did is keep calling and trying everything that kawasaki said than kawasaki sent two tech's from Cal. to here and they could not fix it so they replaced all and i mean all of the electrical parts on the atv including the harness. did not even get out of the parking lot and it did it again.
the first time was the start of my secound ride it had about 60 miles on it. around the start of Oct.
my dealer has had are atvs more than we have. we would just go get them when we wanted to ride and just return them when we were done.
I also called cust service 3 or 4 times those guys are rude and did not seem to be very helpful at all
let me know how you turn out

Old 03-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Hurl,

I just wanted the dealer's name so my dealer's service tech could contact them and compare note.

Thanks

Old 03-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

southwest kawasaki

Quick Reply: 700 Prairie can'T decide 2wd or 4wd