Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Oil Question for 650 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Question for 650 Owners

What weight of oil does Kawasaki recommend for the 650? Arctic Cat recommends 10w-40, but I noticed other manufacturers use different weights. Since it is a Kawasaki engine in my AC, I figure Kawasaki knows best. I went ahead and bought Kawasaki motorcycle oil today in 10w40 weight.

Just curious as to what Prairie 650 owners are running.

Old 10-25-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

5W-30, 10w40, 10W50 20w40, 20w50 are in the manual.

I think 10w40 is best for most people's climates. However, synthetic is best.

Mobil MX4T or Amsoil ATV oil I think are the best synthetics for the 650 engine. Mobile MX4T is fomulated for water cooled engines (mobil V-twin 20w50 and is formulated for air-cooled v-twins). I use mobil v-twin in my front diff.

Automotive synthetics have less phosphorus than motorcycle synthetics and aren't as good at protecting against cold start wear as motorcycle synthetics.

Old 10-25-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nyroc
5W-30, 10w40, 10W50 20w40, 20w50 are in the manual.

I think 10w40 is best for most people's climates. However, synthetic is best.

Mobil MX4T or Amsoil ATV oil I think are the best synthetics for the 650 engine. Mobile MX4T is fomulated for water cooled engines (mobil V-twin 20w50 and is formulated for air-cooled v-twins). I use mobil v-twin in my front diff.

Automotive synthetics have less phosphorus than motorcycle synthetics and aren't as good at protecting against cold start wear as motorcycle synthetics.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to do the first oil change after my next trail ride. It will then have between 50 and 100 miles on it. It currently has 39 miles and 8 hours on the engine. I'll then add a new filter and the Kawasaki 10w40 until 200 or 300 miles, and then I'll go to Mobil MX4T. I've used Mobil 1 in my cars/trucks since 1990, and have used MX4T in my AC 375 since 200 miles, so I'd certainly be one to agree with you on Mobil synthetics. I'm going to stick with standard 80w90 hypoid in the diffs, though. I ran Mobil 1 gear lube in my Jeep diffs, but the front would always leak at the axle seal unless I ran non-synthetic. I believe the additive that they put in to cause seals to expand as they do with mineral oil wasn't getting the job done. I never had it happen in the rear, though, so I stuck with synthetic there.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 10-25-2003, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

Hey guy's when I bought my V the dealer told me not to use synthetic?
Any reason's not to use synthetic?
I use syn in all my vehicle's but used the kawi lube oil in my V so far but would like to use syn in it if I can.

Old 10-26-2003, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe he meant don't use it until broken-in. I'm not even sure you can't use it in new engines. Corvette's come brand new with Mobil 1, as do Porsches.

I just want to be sure that everything seats properly before I switch, but I can't imagine why you wouldn't use them. To me, the best benefits are that they keep their viscosity better, they don't break down as easily, and they can withstand higher temp. My 375 is air/oil cooled, so I like having the safety margin. Also, I like it in a liquid cooled engine for that same added safety margin if you were to lose coolant and overheat. I also like the faster flow during cold starts.

Old 10-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Don't use synthetic until you have broken it in. Synthetic will make is last longer do to better cold flow and less breakdown under heat. MX4T has extra phosphorus which sticks to parts while the quads sits long periods and helps prevent wear next time you start.

We are supposed to use a wet brake synthetic in our rear diff. I guess yours isn't the same as ours? 80w90 Hypoid woud probably gum it up, or burn up.

We are supposed to use engine oil in the front diff. I guess yours isn't the same as ours? 80w90 Hypoid would make it far too stiff.

Old 10-26-2003, 12:29 AM
Range Rover

Danw
Thing is allmost every car nowaday's have completely roller engine's
Roller rocker's,roller lifter's,roller chain's no need to break them in really as they are completly roller and hydraulic. The only thing that really need's to break is is getting the ring's to seat but I'm pretty sure the Vette and Porsche both have moly ring's that do not need that much to seat.

Maybe that's what he said Nyroc I was too giddy at the time to listen [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2003, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nyroc
Don't use synthetic until you have broken it in. Synthetic will make is last longer do to better cold flow and less breakdown under heat. MX4T has extra phosphorus which sticks to parts while the quads sits long periods and helps prevent wear next time you start.

We are supposed to use a wet brake synthetic in our rear diff. I guess yours isn't the same as ours? 80w90 Hypoid woud probably gum it up, or burn up.

We are supposed to use engine oil in the front diff. I guess yours isn't the same as ours? 80w90 Hypoid would make it far too stiff.
I forgot about that wet brake system. I've heard that it works extremely well. I'm a little surprised at the front diff lube requirement. I guess that confirms that the front diff on the AC is not a Kawasaki product. I believe AC must make their own diffs, unless they are Suzuki. Suzuki also uses 80w90. It looks almost identical to the one in my 375 and uses the same fluid.

Maybe in front it has to do with the type of gears or the way they are cut.

Old 10-26-2003, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Doctor1
Danw
Thing is allmost every car nowaday's have completely roller engine's
Roller rocker's,roller lifter's,roller chain's no need to break them in really as they are completly roller and hydraulic. The only thing that really need's to break is is getting the ring's to seat but I'm pretty sure the Vette and Porsche both have moly ring's that do not need that much to seat.

Maybe that's what he said Nyroc I was too giddy at the time to listen [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
That makes sense.

Old 10-26-2003, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

I use Klotz MX4 10w-40 it's a full synthetic and I love it.

Quick Reply: Oil Question for 650 Owners