Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie front spring stiffeners

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003 | 06:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default Prairie front spring stiffeners

thanks for the info. One more stupid ? for you . How the hell do you get those plastic spring covers off in front?

Old 10-31-2003 | 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

The strut has to come completely apart to get the covers off. Oh yeah, and the plastic covers are part of the spring retainer assembly and can't be just thrown away.

Old 10-31-2003 | 11:17 PM
Trailblazer

cant I just cut them plastic covers off? Because Im putting spring spacers in that you dont need to take the strut apart just slide them in and take them out. The only time I need them in is when I hook the plow on to stiffing the front end. So cant I just cut them off and throw them?

Old 11-01-2003 | 07:27 AM
Pro Rider

You can cut the covers off, but you must leave approximately the top one inch section of the cover in place. It's what keeps the spring in place on the strut.

Old 11-01-2003 | 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

If you cut part of the plastic covers off, don't forget to buy some sort of cover to put back on, shockwares etc. Those plastic covers are on there for a reason.

Old 11-01-2003 | 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

Do you think one of them nlyon shock and spring covers will be ok? Because that would sure be a pain in the *** taking that strut apart everytime. I just want the spring stiffiners in there when I plow other than that I love the suspension.

Old 11-01-2003 | 09:01 PM
|
Trailblazer

Cutting, fighting stiffeners on, then off again, I think I'll just go wiith the progressive springs when the time comes.

Bob

Old 11-02-2003 | 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

You are probably right bonza. I ordered some of those stiffiners that you were asking about earlier. I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and and get some of those progressives. Where can I get them? How much are they? I really didnt want to spend much money for how much I will be plowing. What do yah do? right

Old 11-03-2003 | 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

I SEE YOU FOUND YOUR WAY HOME HUH JOE
ROUGH ONE SATURDAY IN THE BAR?
WE WILL HAVE TO GO RIDING AFTER DEER HUNTING
WEEKENDS

Old 11-05-2003 | 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

I have 650 prairie with 60 cycle country blade along with Warner 2500 winch and progressive spring on front end.
I used it alot last winter with all the snow here in NJ. Two problems when using it for few hours
1) it seems after every good snow storm last yr . I had to fix the cable on the winch. I gets worn out where cable come though fearlead. So before each storm I would pull one foot of cable off the winch cut it and start over. .
2) After few hours using the winch to rise and lower the blade the battery would start to lose power and engine would stall and not turn over with starter. I would then use pull start and go home to recharge battery. Maybe need heavier battery this winter.

Also very important NOTE After few g ood uses check the bolts that hold the winch together. My winch bolts came apart and the winch got jamed up .I then has to remove everything in the snow and put winch back together. So now I just check and tighten all the bolts and screw plus spray WD 40 on everything. Also spray WD40 on the blade itself will stop snow from sticking to the blade. Check the springs on the blade too

The 60 inch blade is best blade I got rid on the Vee blace and 48 inch blade

Quick Reply: Prairie front spring stiffeners