Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I have my doubts about v vs. yfz

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have my doubts about v vs. yfz

has anyone lined up against a yfz 450 yet on there v ? I read that someone said they were beating one for the first 300 feet on there v with pipes and a hpd plain. I have these mods. I got to ride a yfz that a friend just got, he already had a pipe on it. let me tell you that thing is fun, it seems to hit way harder than my v. I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck against these. thanks

Old 11-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Range Rover

The YFZ is a wicked machine...extremely quick...but yes I spoke to a couple people that beat them off the line pending scenerio's...but the Z came off the line to be race ready were the V was aimed at a much larger market...so you can say the YZ is already fined tuned minus pipes...once more is known about the V I think that twin will definitely hold its own far better then she does now...people are still randomly trying to determine how to make her breath, clutching and jetting. The V will never be the mx track racer (GNCC maybe) the YZ is...but I believe the V has far more unused power then that YZ...someone will get it to those rear wheels.

When you rode your buddies YZ i dont know if you where lining them up or just riding his...but the YZ will have the perception it pulls alot harder because the V doesnt shift and comes on its power and speed so smooth. My buddy has a 700 and I a KFX 400...when we switch it seems like my 400 pulls harder then his V...untill we line them up...his V is stock and very quick to about 45...now he is putting on pipes and letting her breath it will be interesting.

If you are a racer or love to play on the track the YZ is the way to go...best tuned and fitted stock quad coming of the assembly line. V-Force's power, handling and that extra ground clearance makes it an outstanding trail quad with the ability to do great things in other riding environments...best all around quad in my opinion. I was floored when my buddy launched his and it flew so well...i had to try...thing jumps well i thought.

Old 11-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

We had no trouble with them today. On the test track yesterday we finally got going 5.6's with the v. Today we made semi finals in 2 classes with the v. 1)sport bike improved open,2)open ,and we won both of those classes with the scrambler race mod.
Bernie and Dale(reds650) were the bikes to beat it seemed in the 4x4 classes(p650's),along with one nitrous grizz that runs real strong.Bernie V.ended up winning.

Old 11-10-2003, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Helix - where were the races? And what has Bernie Verge got done to his machine to outrun Dale's 650?

Old 11-10-2003, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

I ran one in about a 300 ft drag and the YFZ beat me by about two or three quad lengths. The one thing I can say in defense of the V Force is that the ground was very soft and I could not get traction. I spun the wheels for the first 100 feet and could never get the holeshot. I know my quad pretty well and I can tell you that my holeshots were terrible because of the lack of traction. If we had been on hard ground, I think we would have been neck and neck at 300 feet with him pulling ahead after that due to gearing. Additionally, I am a fatboy (260) and the kid on the Yamaha was a little skinny dude (probably about 150).

But to be fair, racing is about results, not excuses and that guy whipped me. To date it is the only quad that I have lost to in a drag race.

Old 11-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

I was really impressed with the speed of our new YFZ. Our YFZ has pipe & no airbox lid. It has 10 paddle 23" extremes. It beats my V by 8-10 lengths up sand mountain, but that's hillshooting, not really drag racing. I dont know how a drag race would go, but I think a good rider would win on a YFZ.

Old 11-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Range Rover

I ran one on a wet sand beach and beat him by a few lenghts to 40 - 50 mph and then he passed me. It was a stock yfz. I think the wet sand helped me quite a bit on the hole shot.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

After the hurting I put on a piped Raptor, I can't imagine any 450cc quad being able to deal with a correctly tuned V-Force in a straight-line drag race.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Nova kaw,races were at the old Onslow speedway. Bernie and Dale both ran good.My guess is that he went on yellow and didn't red light LOL. Good job Bernie...not bad for a guy half a hundered !. (just kidding).

Old 11-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KevinM
After the hurting I put on a piped Raptor, I can't imagine any 450cc quad being able to deal with a correctly tuned V-Force in a straight-line drag race.
It's 439 cc's actually, and it would be close. But I'd bet on the YFZ. It's got 12:1 compression and peak power at 10,500 RPMS. The Vforce has 9.9:1 compression and peak power at 6,500 RPMs. Based on those numbers and the 170lb weight diff, you have to take it seriously. The Raptor and YFZ are like a lion and cheetah. The little one runs faster.

Quick Reply: I have my doubts about v vs. yfz