Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Belt Slippage

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Slippage

OK, I'm a long-time Honda rider, so it's no suprise that I'm partial to shaft-drive. However, I am definitely getting a Prairie 650 or 700 very soon. In all honesty, how reliable is the belt in different conditions, especially wet? If you get it underwater are you screwed or what? What about snow? I'm buying this machine for it's awesome performace, but if it's not going to be reliable as well, what's the point? I want seat time not shop time!

Old 11-24-2003, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt Slippage

Red,
I've had my 03 P650 for about 7 months now (about 600 miles/ 67 hours) and its been very reliable so far. The only real problem I've experienced so far was a leaky rear axle seal (left side), which was replaced at no cost (under the 6 mo. factory warranty).

As for the belt, it has never slipped on mine while going through water (I try to not to drive thru water that is higher than my front rack to avoid getting water in the CVT intake) except one time recently when I raced a friend of mine across sand bars and through a shallow river (1 foot deep). A few of the many times that I ran through the river at a very fast pace (20 mph or so), the water would splash up and enter the CVT intake and make my belt slip a little. To dry it out, I simply put it in neutral and revved it up to air dry the belt. But this occured only one day out of many days that I have run through this particular river, and it was not a serious problem b/c its easily avoided by simply driving through the water at a normal pace (10 mph or so). Another option is to install a snorkel on the CVT intake (but I am not going to bother doing this b/c I will not be running in the river after the new law in TX takes effect on Jan 1, 04... which bans all ATVs and Jeeps from riding in most TX rivers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ).

To summarize, the P650 has been a very reliable machine for me and getting the belt wet is a rare event in my experience. I would not worry about the belt getting wet unless you plan to ride without a snorkel through very DEEP water or through shallow water at break neck speeds during a race.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Slippage

In most cases by the time you get your belt wet and start slipping you have also sucked water into the intake, something no quad is immune to. Keep it maintained and you wont have a problem.

Old 11-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Slippage

Had water running over the front rack more than once this weekend here in MI and the it never slipped once (I was really impressed). If the new ones are as good I know I sure would not be concerned anymore!!
Good luck!

Old 11-27-2003, 11:54 PM
mtd
Range Rover
Default Belt Slippage

RED,
I was a Honda Boy for pretty much all my life, I drove a Rubicon for the last 3 year's now but sold it 3 weeks ago now and bought a 2004 P 700. So far I only have 200km and had her in water over the rack twice, no belt slippage. The only advise I will give you is if you were a Honda fan, be ready for a change.

MTD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2003, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Slippage

What kind of change? Reliability?

Old 11-28-2003, 11:32 AM
mtd
Range Rover
Default Belt Slippage

Exactly,
Personally, I think Honda completely miss their objective by launching the new Rincon with lack of low range, lack of front diff locking. The Rubicon was alright but their is lot to complaint about as well.

So far with the P 700, not much to complaint other than the lack of IRS. Lots of power, real 4X4by pulling a lever.

Thanks

MTD

Old 11-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Slippage

I would not sweat the belt.I did before buying the 650 but all has been fine.I had a Kodiak before and never had a belt issue with it so I was willing to take a chance on the 650.I am over 600 miles and all is well.The 03 650 and the 700 have improvements that mine does not.See choke cable& diff driven pulley....and so on.The one thing you will have to get used to is the whine of the gears over the fluid drive Hondas.Kaw uses straight cut gears instead of helical ones and they are noisy.IMO the guys that have the most issues with the belt are the ones running large tires.Oh yea..the other whine you will hear is your buddies when they catch up to you after dusting them.There are other options this bike has that are nice.No one mentions it much but the sealed rear brake is REAL nice.Kaw says no need for inspection for 5k miles!The diff lock is the other one of course. Good luck
02 650 camo

Old 11-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Slippage

You will not touch an auto tranny in the snow.... no shifting constant power etc... the durablity of the 650 is quite good. I have 18500km over 900 hours on mine. After I switched to the new clutch I 've been getting 7000km per belt. Wet conditions are not a problem, other parts on standard shift bikes are are the same such as air boxes etc... so on any bike if the handle bars are underwater your gone. I had problems with the extended warrenty but it's a good investment. I have hours logged on atvs and over my years I only seen one old polaris pulled home because the belt broke. The P700 has sensors to tell you etc... when your belt needs to be replaced but even then the bike will take you home. BTW take a close look at the braking system on the Prairies there is nothing like it, that's what the big honda guys say and it's true. You do need to keep an eye on your belt and use low range to get even more miles out of your belt. I have mine checked constantly but personally I don't use low range too often.

Old 11-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Slippage

You guys don't have to convince me to get the Prairie. I've been looking for an awesome deal on one for about 4 months, but it just seems I don't have the funds right now. I was just wondering about the reliablility of the belt because don't get me wrong, I'm dying to get one of these beasts.

Quick Reply: Belt Slippage