Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

River Rescue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003 | 04:59 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default River Rescue

Well now you guys have given me no reason to even pursue getting a title/registration for it.
I'll blow the vent lines out, finish rebuilding it, ride it til it dies and then part it out.
And if it never dies, I'll pass it on to my son when he's old enough.

Old 12-03-2003 | 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default River Rescue

Originally posted by: 03Cow650
Well now you guys have given me no reason to even pursue getting a title/registration for it.
I'll blow the vent lines out, finish rebuilding it, ride it til it dies and then part it out.
And if it never dies, I'll pass it on to my son when he's old enough.

Geeze, it isn't like you stole it. If it wasn't reported stolen and the only record the police have is for some guy who clames he never owned it then what more do you all expect him to do? Geeze, I would ride the **** out of that thing. It is a great bike and I am sure you will enjoy it. But, as everyone has said, you won't be able to get a title for it and as long as you are cool with that then have fun.

Old 12-03-2003 | 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default River Rescue

you should be fine as long as you dont get caught on any public parks or anything. I didnt register my bike for the first year I had it, but didnt ride anything but private land.

They cant get you for stealing it, but they will take it back from you if it belongs to the ins company, that and possibly anything associated with it. I would be finding out who this guy was the serial number crossed too and contacting him and laying it to him. He might really not know who owned it and its a deeper scam than that. Possibly registered in his name, then paid off without him knowing, like identity theft. More I think about it, more I wouldnt want it.

Old 12-03-2003 | 08:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default River Rescue

as long as u have paper from the police dept saying it no stolen and u get pulled over i would not even worry about it the ins would have somthing in the computer saying the wanted it back so if passed the cops computer system then u should be fine

Old 12-04-2003 | 03:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default River Rescue

I would copy the VIN#, go down to the DMV and find out who the legal owner really is. Then contact them and find out what they want for the title. I'm sure it will cost you, but problem solved.

Old 12-04-2003 | 09:56 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default River Rescue

Too much hassle- as I said, I'm not going to bother with titling it, I'll save it for my son if it lasts that long, if not, I'll be selling lots of parts for an 03 prairie...which of course will benefit you guys.
The cops held on to the thing for a month--you would think that during that time the ran the #'s through there system and came up with nothing except the original owner who claims he never owned it. The guy who was likely an inexperienced rider who lost control and is now sitting at home in a full body cast telling himself he'll never get on one of those things again.
So...wish me luck, the rest of my parts should be here within the next fews days. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2003 | 10:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default River Rescue

It's always interesting to me to see people who feel if they don't get caught at something it isn't wrong. Says a lot about a mans stature.

Old 12-04-2003 | 11:12 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default River Rescue

Everybody is entitled to his own opinion I suppose.

Old 12-04-2003 | 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default River Rescue

Originally posted by: Dangerous
It's always interesting to me to see people who feel if they don't get caught at something it isn't wrong. Says a lot about a mans stature.

What? I still don't see what more you are wanting him to do. Are you sayign that if this happenned to you, you would have just left the quad sitting under water? Come on, there isn't a person on here that would have done that. You tow it back and call the police. So, if they don't turn anything up are you supposed to spend a bunch of time on your own trying to track down the owner even though there is no registered record of who that really is? Give me a break. You are acting like he is a thief and has done something wrong.

Old 12-04-2003 | 12:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default River Rescue

WileyCoyote offers real good advice. I was over a YEAR getting the title to a dirtbike that I bought from a guy that said," I will have the title tomorrow." It had a lien on it, former owner had no money to pay the lien, and so, had NO title. It turned out to be a big, EXPENSIVE mess. I ended up losing "only" $400.00 on THAT little lesson. Lesson learned: Verify free and clear, NEGOTIABLE title, BEFORE money changes hands.
SOMEONE OWNS/has interest in that quad beside you. Most likely an insurance company that paid a theft or total loss claim on it. The downside is: if the insurance co. tracks it down, they can legally seize it, and all the parts/accessories you put on it. Best of luck with your "new found Prairie".
I am surprised the police did not tell your friend basically the same thing, IF he did, indeed, go check with the police about the vehicle's background.
I am by NO MEANS calling you a theif. I am just trying to make you aware of the facts, and possible pitfalls. Enjoy the P-650, they are an awesome bike!

Quick Reply: River Rescue