Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dynos and springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 04:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynos and springs?

Ok guys. This is my first post. I've been lurking around for awhile on this board as well as a few other ATV forums. This one is really good!

Anyhow, I do not currently own a V Force but I'm going to as soon as the budget allows. Right now all of my funds are into my street bikes a Hayabusa, a couple of Kawi turbos.......

My question is about the clutch springs. For example, if you use a spring that has a higher shiftout rate like say a spring which has a
34/181 rating as oppose to the stock 0/122 rating will it show more HP/TQ on a dyno given an exact comparo of a stone stock V and one that has just the spring? And what else is involved to get maximum power to rear wheels considering the trans soaks up the actual power that the mighty twin produces? I see some of the companies have springs, weights and other clutch mods to boot. I'm still learning about the transmissions internal and what does what, etc.

I also see a few of you suggest different gurus on the transmission deal.....give me some reasons to pick one over another.

Thanks for all of the replies!!

Oh by the way. I sell Kawasaki/Suzuki/Polaris, so I know a lot about the products but just now gearing up into the aftermarket stuff. So don't be shy at being technical with any answers.

Old 12-17-2003, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

Different spring pressure, adjustable weights allow for clutch tweaking to get the power where you want it. Higher engaging with high spring pressure allow for drag racing then a lighter engagment with a mid spring pressure work for trail riding. The clutch is tuneable it is up to you to experiment with all the add ons. sled guys have 20 different spring rates along with a number of hilexs to manipulate drive system. You can also have the clutch machined to gain more speed on the top end I have done this for a number of people. You can boost the power of the V to take advantage of the spring and clutch modds to quench all rivals. It all depends how far you want to go to exploit all posibilities. Most of the guys in competition will not divulge their information so once you have basic understanding of the drive system the world opens up pretty quick. Soon as you start to modify it will snow ball to a definate fun factor. Like you I used to have street bikes and always looking for the rush of speed so I made a 1/4 mile racer did fairly well for a few years. Then I took my buddys quad for a ride and fell in love. It did not take long for me sell my street machine to play in the dirt and have not looked back once. The comarodary of ATV riders are second to none. Sure there is always the I can go faster but at the end of the day we all have fun probably more so than the bike circuit.

There is a ton of information on this site as well as others it would do you good to look deep into the search function. When you do get your V start to fiddle with it I will bet that you will have a few good posts to put on the forums.

Old 12-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer

hi M. Alltoys I heard you say couple of times that you can machine the 650's clutch to achive more top speed. I would really apreciate
if you could tell me what part do I have to machine and how much do I have to remove to get the higher gearing, well I suppose that it's gone make the clutch close a bit more. I already order a puller and I was planing to find out while looking at the deasamble clutch but for sure your help would be superbe. I have all the others goodies on my bike, it's pretty fast but can't hardly go over 64mph thanks in advance !!! and also for all the others infos you brought so far, whitout this forum I would still have an stock 650 !

Old 12-17-2003, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

I believe KissOfDeath did some testing of springs not long ago. PM him.
Erlandson Performance' tech folks have been very helpful in the past. Check'em out.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

03twin,
With respect to the clutch I have given detailed information on how to machine the clutch both front and back on previous posts. If you do a search you will come up with all the information to get another 12 - 16 mph out of your quad. It is imperative to have the clutches balanced once they are machined as they will vibrate considerably after 6000 rpm. The V has a higher potential after the clutch is modded as it has less weight to move, the 650 has been a good performer for me in the past. KOD has done a good service with testing different springs on his quad. The only problem with just testing springs is there are weights that go hand in hand with the springs. An adjustable weight is by far the most tuneable part of the clutch. You can adjust how the quad will take off or transfer power to mid or top end depending on where you place the rivets on the weights. You can make the power lame on the start to stop all the wheel spin then load up the system later on down the track when traction is not a problem. There are a ton of variables to play with and this clutch system is completely tuneable. I have had the V turn 11,500 and the clutch holds up great it is one strongest part of the drive system. I do prefer Dalton clutch modds they design their pieces with performance in mind. To get performance you have to have dependability and they will tell you if what you want is obtainable. The other company will not do that!!!!!

Old 12-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

I'm been looking for posts concerning what to machined in the clutch to get the extra mph but after at least 10h of search all a found is how to ligthen the face plate wich I already did. has for the springs I found the best combination possible with the mods that I have.
what I want is more gearing, I want the belt to go higher in the drive. thank anyway I apreciate, now that I know that the infos are out there it's giving me some motivation !

Old 12-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Where can we buy the rivets to add to our Dalton clutch weights. Do they just rivet on the weight the same as a regular rivet? Thanks.

Ken

Old 12-18-2003, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

DesertSportsman,The rivets are yamaha you can get them from Dale at Dalton are at the local yamaha dealer.I would call Dale to find out what weight you need.The clutch and plate set-up kick a$$.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2003, 02:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Kewl! Alltoys thanks for some of the interesting ideas on making the Auto better. Dalton seems to have a good handle on the clutch mods. A lot of guys have great info on the springs but I believe the weights are imperative to really open up the power from the twin. When I'm ready I will be giving them a call and research more on the other clutch mods you have done.

As far as my first question, springs, clutch mods, etc. what kind of #'s on the dyno do you see with different trans tuning? I'm mean this is a 700 V twin and it should have near actual HP/TQ #'s similar to like the SV650 street bikes. Well kinda......LOL!!! They put out like 60 some HP, etc. So all of these exhaust, intake mods, etc. that a lot of ATVers perform show some HP/TQ differences but not really a lot of gains compared to say some of the standard shift quads. I wonder how consistent the VForce is since the trans is "Variable" and ATV tires do not adhere to the dyno rollers as good as motorcycle or car tires. I would think after a good exhaust, intake mod along with proper tuning of the carb and proper tuning of the trans, the V can spit out more than 50hp.

This question is more to feed my curiosity than a necessity. Real world testing comes in the form of Timed racing or comparing to another test unit to see actual gains or losses.

Thanks again.

Old 12-18-2003, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

Torquedoff,
You will be disappointed with the HP of the V force and Prairie the numbers are low compared to gear driven bikes/quads. The CVT is very difficult to equate any HP to the ground but what it does excellent is transmit torque far better than most gear driven ATVs. Stated 47 HP at the crank for a V equates to 30HP at the rear wheels, not much it seems but the torque is higher by comparison. A Banshee can have 100HP but little torque if not for rpms the Banshee would not be a contender. There are people with Vs that will run constantly with juiced quads and hold their own, torque is the key factor along with other stuff as well. I have always said to do one thing at a time and do comparisons from stock. I have seen people go with bigger tires lots of add ons and lose actual top end speed, spent hundreds and not improved one bit. I use a good tach one that can recall the last run and a good excellerometer to prove what I have done. Seat of pants feel is only good when compared to horse shoes and handgrenades. Dynos tell the short story the track tells the whole story both go hand in hand to justify your modds. I have bounced around the actual theory of many modds only because all the information is on the sites and there is a vast amount of information to sift through,.......good luck!!

Quick Reply: Dynos and springs?