Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Synthetic oil for my V-Force.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 03:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic oil for my V-Force.

Hello to all,

Did the full service at 10 hours as described in the owners manual. Used Kawi filter and Kawachem oil. Now at 40 hrs and wanted to move to synthetic. Dealer said I should not use synthetic, only semi-synthetic. Something about a special coating in the cylinder walls and the synthetic would be too slick for the rings to produce compression? I don't claim to be a chemist but it did seem odd. I don't mind spending the big bucks on the very best synthetic. Heck, its only 2 quarts about once a year for my riding habits.

Whats the hot ticket on oil for the V-Force?

Old 12-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

enigima i use castrol syntec and have had no power loss. im no expert but i dont think you will lose power running synthitic oil. you could use any good synstitic in the vforce cause you dont have wet clutchs. my opinion

Old 12-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

I use mobil 1 in my v, ive never heard of anything about that. Dunno man.

Old 12-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

I use AmsOil in my P650 and really like it, however it's not as easy to buy as Mobil1. You have to order AmsOil and you can buy Mobil1 almost anywhere. Therefore I'd recommend the Mobil1 full synthetic.

Old 12-19-2003, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

mobil 1 has proven it self for sure.

Old 12-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Regular 10W-40 and filter after 5 hrs (it will scare you at the amount of "silver" thats in the oil that comes with the first couple of hours in a new engine), so I like to get that out pretty quick. Went to Mobil 1 at about 10 hrs. I change it every 400-500 miles. 1700 miles later....it doesn't use a drop.

Bill

Old 12-20-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

I am going to go synthetic also on the P700. I use the Mobil1 in my Bandit 1200 but I am thinking about using the Polaris PS4 oil in the 700. I keep it on hand for the Predator anyway.

Old 12-21-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

I have been using Mobile 1 VTwin oil in mine since the first oil change. Just checked my valves at 4500 miles on one of my 650s and they are still in spec. Never been adjusted since the unit was put together by Kawasaki. I think that should have something to say for synthetics. Recommended oil change intervals should stay the same. Also I use the same VTwin synthetic in my front end as it meets the same requirements. Amsol, Mobil MX make good synthetitcs and then Castrol makes a synthetic formulated and a full synthetic but be careful as one of them is not recommended for a twin I forget which.

Guys I gauged my rear brakes and from my estimate I am 3/4s of the way into them... However I did find something of interest in my rear end oil a Black Sludge and it seems to be coming from a seal. I have seen this on farm tractors where seals brake down after a while with hydraulic oil sometimes if they are not real good material to begin with. Just a heads up. I think everyone should be alright just keep an eye on the material in the oil. First time I seen that but it does not worry me as usually the culprit will show itself before too long..

Old 12-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Here's what I use. I don't extend my oil change intervals, so I don't have a need for synthetic. I surely didn't see any differnce using synthetic the couple times i used it on my old 400EX.

Old 12-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

You will never SEE a difference using synthetic oils for a time or two. What you will see, after the lifetime of using synthetic oils in any machine, is less wear on critical parts like rings, pistons, valves, gears, bushings, thrust washers, clutches and so on. But if you don't keep a machine long enough or ride it in the sand or in deep water or store it for the winter or use it in the summer then you will never get the chance to SEE what good the synthetic oils do to your engine.

Synthetic grease lubricants for the moving parts on your atv, car, truck and boat are simply unsurpassed and no one really see's a difference in real world horsepower using it only a time or two, but two, five or ten years down the road you will. If you measure all the wear surfaces on the same parts over a period of time you will then SEE the difference the synthetic oils make. I encourage anyone to switch to synthetic oils if you are going to keep the machine for a long period of time. Some people cannot justify the expense of synthetic oils if only keeping a machine for a summer.

I have an '03 Dodge Cummins HO, '96 Chevy sedan, '70 428CJ MACH I, '03 Prairie 650, '04 V-Force, '04 Prairie 700, '01 Goldwing, a couple of trail bikes and a '47 ****** They all get synthetic lubes, even the wheel bearings on my '04 28' Desert Fox will get some. I wan the stuff I have to last.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil for my V-Force.