Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KFX 700

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX 700

I'm thinking about buying one of these any comments on the new auto trans. Pro or con do you think it will hold up? I'm concerned about no engine braking no way to downshift. Thanks for your comments

Old 01-15-2004, 01:50 AM
2TV
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX 700

It’s pretty much the same transmission that’s on the Prairie (minus the K-EBC engine braking assistance) and I have not heard of anyone having a problem with the transmission (the Prairie 650 has been out since the ’02 model year and has now evolved into the 700, essentially using the same engine as the V-Force).. I suppose eventually one will have to replace the drive belt but they do hold up well (I’ve had my Grizzly which has a similar belt drive CVT for over 2 ½ years now and I’ve never had any problem with the belt (and it has never been adjusted either). If you think about it though, replacing a belt in the CVT transmission is probably a cheaper fix than having to repair any other type of transmission.

In spite of the fact that it doesn’t have the K-EBC engine braking system like the Prairie, the KFX 700 (V-Force) still has a surprising amount of engine braking built in. It works very well until the engine reaches a near idle speed, then the transmission will disengage and free-wheel. If you are going down hill at the time all you have to do is give it a little gas and it will re-engage or just you can just use your brakes.

The V-Force in stock trim makes an excellent trail riding package (with attitude!). Of course it works fine if you are not in a hurry too…