Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Hiper carbon fiber or ITP Baja rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hiper or Baja rims?

I'm getting a set of tires and rim's for the V, and just want to know which would be better. I can get 4 Razr2 on ITP Baja rims from Rocky Mt for $700 to my door. I have a place in Conn. that will give me the same tires on Hiper rims for $340 more. Which would be the better deal?

Old 01-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hiper carbon fiber or ITP Baja rims?

Nobody has these rims to give a opinon on. I don't want to buy the Baja's, then hear people say, you should of spent the extra on Hiper. Or buy the Hiper's and hear, there not worth the extra over the baja's. I need a good solid rim for the V. I tried ITP .190, and bent both rim's on there first ride. So I need a rim that can handle the KFX700 weight, and my kind of riding. Are the Hiper's worth $340 more then the Baja's, or will the Baja's work. I don't mind spending the extra, but I don't like spending if it's not needed.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know anyone that has the Hyper rims but I have the Bajas and love them. I can't say I've really put them to the test yet but they were recommended to me by someone that has. I ride in PA and at one very rocky riding area another guy with a "V" and Bajas said the Bajas have put up with a lot of abuse. Judging from the look of his "V" I do not think he was lying......the bike was banged up beyond belief. After seeing this I went out and got mine.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

GE-
I like my Baja rims, they seem to take a pretty good beating. I mashed a set of .190 rims as well. Good luck

Old 01-16-2004, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

Do yoy think the Baja's will hold up to 6 GNCC races, plus many practice rides?

Old 01-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

GE4x4, I may get screamed at for this by die-hard ITP lovers (and as I've said I have the Bajas) but if bomb proof is what your looking for and I were you I would spend the extra $$$ and get the HiPer wheels. Carbon fiber has been proven in MANY industries to be stronger in it's construction than most metals, certainly stronger than aluminum (reinforcement ring or not). One of the main reasons is it's ability to flex under extreme impact where metals will give (bend). I'm a firearms nut and 5-6 years ago I researched carbon fiber materials more than I'd care to say. I was one of those last hold outs to purchase a firearm made of carbon fiber but that has changed since my research. Our military is replacing many equipment components (previously made of metals) with carbon fibers. There is my 2 cents. Good luck with your races.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

I just put a set of HiPer beadlock fronts with Maxxis Razr2s on the VForce -- I'll let you know how they perform once I've used them. I also have 2 sets of the Baja rear rims and although they're heavy they withstand abuse pretty well (I do a lot of riding in rocky PA).

I don't believe that HiPer has a rear beadlock carbon fiber rim that fits the VForce yet -- that's the reason I got the ITP Baja rims (otherwise I would have gotten the HiPer rears). Currently if you want to use HiPer rims on the rear of the VForce you have to use 400ex hubs (and possibly other mods) and order rims with the 400ex bolt pattern -- which I wasn't willing to do.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

JJ

I have 400ex hubs coming, so I plan on getting the Honda bolt pattern. I wanted the Honda pattern because I have 3 other atv's with Honda pattern, so I can do a lot of tire switching.

So are you saying if they made a Hiper rim with a 4/137 pattern you would of went Hipers instead of Baja's. If so, why?

What backspacing did you put in the front? I want to 4+1 to narrow the front to 46".

Old 01-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

GE see if You can IM a member named kawy he has been running on the Hyper rims for some time now...He might have the answers you are looking for...IMO I would go with the Hyper rims.....

Old 01-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

GE,

First and foremost I wanted beadlocks front and rear for racing the V (hare scrambles/gncc). I looked hard but for the life of me couldn't find rear beadlocks that fit the V bolt pattern. If HiperTech made a rear carbon fiber beadlock that fir the V I definitely would have gotten them -- due to the beadlock primarily, but the weight saving factor is also important to me (the skid plates, aftermarket bumper, Cycra handguards, etc. start to add up in pounds quickly -- which is why I'm not running nerb bars). As far as backspacing I'm using the 4+1 to try to keep the V as narrow as I can. Stock at 47.1 inches is pretty wide to start with.

-Jim

Quick Reply: Hiper carbon fiber or ITP Baja rims?