Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dyna Tech Sued?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Tech Sued?????

If Mitsubishi sued DG for making a Prairie CDI, what's to keep them from suing Dyna Tech??????

Just a thought.

Old 02-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

I've been mulling over the same thing and have two theories about it.

First, Dyna has built an igniter that is pretty much a basic igniter. It doesn’t have the other code in it that the Mitsubishi has such as the belt detection and reverse limiter. It also doesn’t use the speed sensor. The relevance is that Dyna apparently did not reverse engineer the Mitsubishi system, but built their own. The issue as, I understand it, between DG and Mitsubishi was the degree to which DG reverse engineered the Mitsubishi CDI. I think it was a copyright/patent issue and not the fact that it was an aftermarket CDI.

Maybe Dyna did a licensing agreement with Mitsubishi. I’m not so sure that this is the case or the other functionality would be in the new igniter.

I don’t have any personal knowledge to support my theories; I’m shooting in the dark. The fact that Mitsubishi hasn’t gone after the module guys is a little confusing. The modules have come about as the result of reverse engineering the speed sensor functionality. My guess is that Mitsubishi is most interested in the Reverse limiter and Belt detection. Penland tells me that the belt sensor was a difficult problem for Kawi/Mits to solve, so they may have a feel that it is proprietary. The code to create the multiple timing curves is more involved than the single curve in the Dyna. Who knows where Mitsubishi’s head is on the issue. We’d be sunk if all manufactures took the Mitsubishi view of the world. There would be no aftermarket innovation.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 02-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Mitsu or Kawasaki can't sue unless there is a Patent Infingement. You are free to make what you want otherwise.

DG (so I heard) produced a CDI that used circuitry and/or components and/or code that was protected under a Mitsu patent.

Dyna can make whatever they want as long as they dont use the protected stuff.

You can fool Mitsu's CDI with whatever combination of inputs you want. That does not violate their patent.

Old 02-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have been reading all the posts about the CDI, on this forum, and several others. I think I am beginning to understand what it will offer. However, if the speed sensor is disabled, how will that impact the K-EBC? Will it not be there at all? I ride some technical descents, in the mountains, and as much as I want more power, would not be willing to give up the K-EBC in order to get it. Also, will the speedo no longer function properly? I don't mind losing the reverse limiter, or the belt detection. However, I like to have an idea of my speed, and definetely NEED the K-EBC. Any thoughts?

Old 02-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Your speedometer and your Kebc an 4x4 will still use the speed sensor. Those are all independant of the CDI.

Old 02-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Nyroc
I was wondering about the 4X4 function too.

It's good to have you back on the forum
If I was rich, I'd buy you a new P700.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

Nyroc, I was going through your photos and noticed a triton trailer in your Salamanca 2002 catalogue, picture 57. Would you happen to know what triton model number it is. I'm looking for the lighest 2-3 atv trailer and from what I have found the aluminum construction of the triton makes them the strongest and lightest on the market.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

It is my friend's trailer. I do not know the model.

Although he likes it a lot, he wishes it had 2 things differnent:
1. The lack of a panel at the front of the trailer allows his quads to get the full amount of dirt, mud, sand, and salt from the truck. I think some tritons have the guards.

2. The adjustable tie downs are weak. We don't like them. I would have put D rings on if it were mine. We use those full size ratchet straps. We hook them to the from front bumper, run the strap under the trailer, then hook to the rear bumper or frame to hold the quad down. It works extremely well. They never move.

The other trailer that you might see on my website is my brother's. It is homemade and very heavy (for hauling wood). However, the quads stay cleaner and we never tie the quads down. Sometimes they all shift to the front. But, no big deal. They are trapped by beefy trailer walls. Plus, we pack all kinds of stuff between the trailer walls and the quads. Makes for a better campout trailer.

My friend's truck is now bigger than my brother's truck. That is funny because the one with the biggest engine now has the lightest trailer.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Some where I believe I was told that they had to wait at least a year after the original manufacture made the cdi,,, not sure on that one tho. I do know whoever made or makes the new cdi it has to be at least 20% different than the original to keep away from the patent thing! By eliminating the belt switch and the reverse limiter along with the rev limiter change, I believe that would make more than a 20% change!

Old 02-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

The CDI doesn't disable the speed sensor, it just doesn't use it for the timing curve.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Quick Reply: Dyna Tech Sued?????