Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

reseting bet light

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reseting bet light

I am going on a big rid this weekend and have almost 100 hrs on my prairie, my belt light hasent been triped yet and i dont want it to on the ride. So i was wondering it i can go ahead and do the reset procedure and avoid the hole thing? I would hate to be climbing a big hill this weekend and lose all my power because the sensor triped.

Old 02-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

What year? My 700 has 2 sets of cables (one white and one grey) up next to the gear shifter. The procedure for me is Turn bike off; switch grey to white and white to grey, unplug engine brake, turn on bike it should flash quick for 7 seconds then slow, let it blink for 7 seconds, turn key off, put cables back, and go. I believe you have to wait until it trips.... but it's no biggie it should only take a minute to fix and you can almost do it from you seat.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not real familiar with that belt light. Does the quad go into some kind of "limp mode" when its on? I thought that only occured when the loose belt sensor kicked in.
I'm not so sure the procedure can be done from the seat, or is that the way the 700 is set up?

Old 02-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

The 2002 650 never needs this light reset procedure. It the belt switch is tripped, adjust the belt and flip the switch back. A tripped switch will cause a power loss. Flip switch to the "ON" position (a bad belt flips if to off).

2003 650 and 2004 700 can also have their belt switches tripped by a loose belt. However, the belt light may stay on, or it may have come on automatically at 100 hours to get you to return the machine to the dealer for inspection. The following procedures will reset the light if the belt switch is not tripped. A tripped switch will cause loss of power. Flip switch to the "ON" position (a bad belt flips if to off). However, a belt light needing to be reset (such as at 100 hours) will cause early 2003 machines to loose power, but not later ones (I am told). If you aren't sure which procedure to use, try the first one. If it does not reset the light use the second one.

The 360 belt light is very similar to this. You may not find the right connectors, if this is the case you haven't looked deep enough. This has been the case with many 360 owners. Keep looking, you will find them.

There is a procedure in the KFX folder for the Vforce to reset the light. The Vforce does not have a belt trip switch.
Note: Disconnecting the battery does not reset the light.

Note: there have been rumors that the ON/OFF label on the belt trip switch has been mislabeled on a couple of machines. You may want to double check your switch is flipped toward the rear of the ATV (bad belt flips switch forward). The switch is inside the CVT cover. Do not turn the ignition on with the CVT cover removed, bad stuff happens to the KEBC motor.

Note: A poorly connected battery can cause the light to repeatedly come on even if the switch doesn't flip. A bad ignition switch might also be a cuplrit.

Note: Always inspect the drive belt before resetting the belt warning light.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early 2003 650 Belt light reset procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

3. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey.

4. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

5. Turn the ignition switch ON.

6. Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval for a few seconds then start to flash slower. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7. After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off.

8. Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location (black to black, grey to grey).

9. Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector (wires from CVT cover).

10. Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light is not flashing. Retry this procedure if needed. As far as I have heard it always works if the belt switch isn't tripped and there are no electrical problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Late 2003 and 2004 700 Belt light reset procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey.

3. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

4. Turn the ignition switch ON.

5. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

6. Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval for a few seconds then start to flash slower. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7. After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off.

8. Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location (black to black, grey to grey).

9. Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector (wires from CVT cover).

10. Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light is not flashing. Retry this procedure if needed. As far as I have heard it always works if the belt switch isn't tripped and there are no electrical problems.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

SpliffStar, you are a sharp cookie.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

I know HOW to do it, I was just wondering if i could do it befor it triped like at 98 hrs so i wont have to worrie about it this weekend.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks to you Nyroc [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Nope, ya can't do it first. Print out the destructions if you don't have it memorized, and take a screwdriver to get the plastic off.

Old 02-29-2004, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

i just read this post last monday i took the belt cover off to check the belt (700 miles) never looked at it . going to Hatfeild-Mcoy in march so i had the cover off belt is 29.5mm looks good to me. butt i turned the key on to fire it just to see how it all worked. now i have 2wd-4wd indicator light alternating. everything works fine butt this is anoying. any words on how to fix???

Old 03-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

You didn't turn the key on with the cover off? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

The KEBC motor spools out all the way if you do that. You basically unplug the KEBC motor and hot wire it backwards so it comes back in. Might want to check fuses too.