Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

HMF Dual help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 06:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HMF Dual help

ok mabey there is nothing wrong here mabey im just paranoid..i have installed HMF full duals on my 04 V-force.. i also installed the recomended jets 142.5 front 145 rear.. this thing sounds sweet.. and pulls alot harder at mid throttle where before it was kinda flat... now i dont notice any backfire on hard runs... but i worry mabey its running a little rich... when its cold its very hard to start and i have to keep the choke on longer than before... thats minor stuff though i can live with that... when im riding down a steep hill it will crackle in the pipes. now in my truck this is normal but on my quad this never happened before... also the tips of the pipes are getting a black soot on them which to me indicates a rich mixture.. was there anything else i had to do besides bolt the pipes on and screw in the new jets cuz i didnt mess with anything else.. please dont be affraid to call me a paranoid freak i just dont want to end up fouling plug after plug... everything else for now is stock as i heard the stock air filter is descent.. any help will be appreciated....

Old 02-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default HMF Dual help

Did you turn your air screws out any, This might help you with the starting problem. Im about to do the same thing to my wifes v and i have compiled all the info i couold and it seems with what you have done you need to turn the air screws all the way in then back out 2 turns on the front carb and 2 1/4 out on the rear carb. You might play with it a bit to get it running goodHope this helps ya

Old 02-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Range Rover
Default HMF Dual help

ok i did nothing but bolt the pipes on and install the jets. i dindt mess with any other settings.. my trouble is they dont make a V-Force mods for dummies book... so you say turn the air screw mixture screw in and back it out is there a book i can get that shows me where all these screws are... ... also the quads not running bad i just think its running a little rich cuz of the soot at the exuast... course who knows mabey it could be running better..

Old 02-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default HMF Dual help

Yes run them all the way in , then out aprox 2 - 2 1/2 turns, .Do this while the engine is warm. You can see the air screws on the bottom it is the one with a standard (flat head) srew

Old 02-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Range Rover
Default HMF Dual help

also anyone else notice a increased amount of heat on the left side will that stock heat shielf bolt back on to the header pipes

Old 02-26-2004, 05:12 PM
mt
Trailblazer
Default HMF Dual help

yes, more heat and NO heat shield wont fit.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Range Rover
Default HMF Dual help

ok trail i tried the air screws on the bottem of the carbs and got no change.. i rode on out to a dealer and they told me that i need to get a higher performance air filter so i guess tommorrow ill try this.. anyone else out there running these pipes have this problem or did you just automaticly replace the air filter.. i was told the stock filter was good enough stand alone...

Old 02-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Range Rover
Default HMF Dual help

Howdy,
All the symptoms that you have listed usually mean a lean condition. I would suggest that you turn the air screws out a quarter turn at a time and see if that doesnt help. A freer flowing air filter would only make it worse if you are lean. Having to use the choke more would also indicate a lean condition. Good luck!!!!!

Old 02-27-2004, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default HMF Dual help

I have the HMF fact sheet here and it says you want 145 front&148 rear--If you are having trouble with their pipes you should call them -I heard they stand behind them. fact sheet:here

Old 02-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Range Rover
Default HMF Dual help

well shoot the jets i have are for the slip on hmf pipe.. i need the other ones... see i cant call hmf because i bought these pipes brand new from a private purchase. i dont think the guy did me wrong just a slight oversite.. now i guess i need to first look and see if kawi has them here or order a pair offline... thanks for the fact sheet... guess i aint running rich then would have to be running lean with those jets being to small...

Quick Reply: HMF Dual help