Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Calling mojaveaddict and/or kwackermann

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 07:14 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling mojaveaddict and/or kwackermann

Hey guys.....I'm getting ready to purchase a 400ex carb for my Mojave, but I was wondering if you guys could shed any light on the conversion process?? I have the following questions:

1. Is the install a drop-in? I hear the 400ex carb needs to be tilted a bit?
2. Will my current UNI clamp-on fit the 400ex carb
3. Will I need to re-jet the 400ex carb? If so, what jet sizes should I purchase
4. Does the 400ex thumb throttle need any modifications to fit the Mojave

Along with these questions, do you have any other words of wisdom or recommendations for me.

Hope all is progressiong nicely with the SuperMojave Addict.......

Thanks!!

Old 03-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey HareScrambleRacer- the 400ex carb is pretty much a straight bolt up, fit right in-for me anyhow, I guewss it might depend on what year 'jave ya got- I have a 2000. You will also need a 400ex thumb throttle or comparable twist made for the ex. And yes- the carb will need to be tilted slightly to clear a frame crossmemberbecause of the throttle cable houseing radius but it can be accomdated- depending if you go with stock thumb of aftermarket twist throttle- to a minnimum. I'd guess that in Wisconsin you're about the same elevation as I am here in the Chicago area so jetting, I'm currently running a 168 main and fixin' to go bigger, as to a jet kit, I went with dynojet part number Q107 which consists of bot stage 1 and 2 kits combined, but really I think you'll only need the stage 2 unless you're fixin' to go to some high elevation somewhere. I don't know if the UNI will clamp on- I haven't gotten to that, I'm gonna try today and I'll let ya know. Hope this helps........

Old 03-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

hey kwackermann, was wondering if you got the clamp-on yet, im thinking of doing this myself and was wondering. also is it worth doing if you dont have the cams and cdi mods.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Ooooh, sorry, I didn't get to that today. As to the carb and CDI box w/o cams- the whole point really of all this is for the cams. But for play riding and a little more top end and especially cleaning up that small but very noticeable dead spot at the bottom the carb oughtta do ya well. As to the CDI- ya really can't appreciate it without the cams- I'm running it now with the stock cams and, although you can wind it a little higher there's really no point to it because you're getting just past teh stock cams' power curve. I'll get back to ya with that UNI if it's a fit.........

Old 03-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

thanks kwackerman, i appreciate the info, i realize without the cams i wont gain to much on top speed, i was wondering with the 400 carb if it does clean up the bottom end, and it sounds like it does. the motor mods are gonna come next year, im thinking about cams, but i dont need the top speed as much as bottom and mid. any info you have i would really appreciate. plus i am gonna start messing with suspension stuff(thats first on my list) so what ever i come up with i will keep you informed(im alot better with metal and suspension then motor work).

Old 03-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks- suspensionwise I've been a little concerned with the rear shock, seem to have been bottoming it out way too much. But the cams are first on the list and shoule be started on sooon.......

Old 03-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Getting' back to ya about the UNI bolting up-- it will. It's a snugger fit and the ex carb has a small lip which gives me a little more peace of mind; with the stock 'jave carb I was always a little concerned with the UNI slipping off due to aggressive riding. And there ya have it. Good luck- and let me know how things turn out.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

Where are you guys sourcing aftermarket stuff for the mojave? If all goes well, I get my stock 91 Mojave tomorrow.
What the best mod for low and midrange? Stock gearing OK?
Are these motors reliable? Thanks

Old 03-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Trailblazer

hey kwackermann are you running a clamp on unifilter with no air box and a 400ex carb? If yes, where did you order your unifilter clamp on, and what are the exact dimensions for the filter? I'm asking because I have already purchased the 400ex carb, and i am about to order the exact jet kit you bought for the 400ex carb. One more question what exactly is a pod filter. Please send me the exact link to filter I need. I'm about to pull my cylinder on my mojave and completely rebuild it with new cams, bigger piston, stainless steel valves, hardened rockers, removed rev limiter, new timing chain, 400ex carb and clamp on filter with no air box.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

....ProComp, stock gearing is OK for a stock motor, I found stock gearing to be best on a demanding track like the one in moriarty in my pics, but that was before the ex carb. I've found a 13T frnt sproket to work well otherwise. I got my KLR CDI from a fellow forum member.

....Hey shoemaro, yes- I'm running a UNI filter with no box. I had to order it thru mt dealer because the site didn't allow me to order it directly. the dimensions are 4" long with a 2 1/4 " opening, 5" is too long. Here's a link http://www.unifilter.com/clamp-on.htm the part# i have is UP4229ST.

Quick Reply: Calling mojaveaddict and/or kwackermann