Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mods for a Prairie 360?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods for a Prairie 360?

Check the clutches for a full shift-out. If it's fully shifting out, the 360 could be a perfect candidate for primary clutch mods (a little work on the lathe may be worth another 5-10 MPH).

Old 03-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Guys

I can usually fix anything--and I dont know alot about how these clutches work---can anybody explain or link me to a sight?? i am not sure what you mean by shifting clutches out---tee me up and I'll give it a shot---good friend of mine has a machine shop and he owes me a favor---
SHOW ME THE WAY

Old 03-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Range Rover

Hey Moses,

That's what I wanted... Skid plates, and that kind of thing. My 360 does close to 50... Not sure exactly yet but I'm getting the speedo installed soon. Speed isn't what I bought mine for and honestly the trails on my property aren't drag strips. As far as jetting, jeez.... I wouldn't know how to do it and I'm not going to do anything that would void the Extended Warranty. I'm not a mechanic. But yours sounds like it has some of the stuff I'd like to have on mine.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

OleManMoses - Fully shifted out means that the primary clutch is together as far as it can mechanically move and the secondary clutch is as far apart as it can mechanically move. This is the highest ratio the machine can get to.
To check this you pull the clutch cover off and mark a wide band up the clutch faces with an indelible ink marker. Take the machine out and make a top speed run. Pull the cover again; the marker will be rubbed off wherever the belt was contacting it. Pull the belt off, push the primary clutch all the way together, and lay the belt in the gap. If the belt goes down into the primary far enough so that the top of the belt is level with what's left of the black mark you had put on the clutch face, it was fully shifted to the highest ratio. You check the secondary the same way, except everything is in reverse (push the clutch APART, BOTTOM of the belt even with black mark). You probably wouldn't have to check the secondary, they usually shift out a little easier than the primary anyway.
If the clutches are not fully shifted out, either the clutch springs are too heavy, the primary clutch weights are too light, or the engine has simply run out of power.
If the clutches are fully shifted out and the engine is revving at a high RPM, clutch modifications may help. This just means disassembling the primary and removing 0.03 of material from each clutch sheave where they come together at the bottom. It will also involve minor material removal from the primary clutch cover to allow the weight/spider mechanism to move far enough to allow the modded clutch sheaves to go all the way together.
The clutch modified as such will be tighter, thus pushing the belt higher in the sheaves and creating a higher ratio. On P650/700's this is good for another 5-10 mph. If the 360 has the power to to take advantage of the mods, you should see similar gains.
If you are serious about trying this, talk to Alltoys or reds650. They have done this and have a good handle on the technical side of the modifications.
I hope this is of some help - it would be great to someone cure one of the biggest complaints about an otherwise great machine.

Old 03-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Range Rover

Hey, great stuff on this thread guys. Thank you! So do you guys have any opinions on some of the better online stores to get third party upgrades? My next upgrade will be skid plates, a rear cargo box. Just bought Maier handguards but haven't installed them yet.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Thanx for the tech briefing on the clutches---I will try the magic marker trick and see how far they are opening up--- Trailblazer 360, you should check out rockymountain atv.com---they have skid plates and such for our machines and are very reasonably priced

Old 03-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Oldmanmoose, be sure to give us your results on the clutch.. I have always been suspicous the 360 power is being robed in the clutches but never knew how to check them.. I'm going to try this myself once I replace my red secondary with my black later this spring..

Old 03-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Prairie360,
I have the kawasaki skid plates on our 360 and the Ricochet on my 700 and the Ricochet are way nicer for the money!!! You can get those at rockymountainatv.com or 4atvtires.com and I'm sure plenty of other places.

Enjoy!

Old 03-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

Mike,

Hey thanks for the info! I took your advice and ordered the Ricochet armor.... A-Arms, Engine and Rear protection. Are they bolt on?

Old 03-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

they bolt on using clamps, they require a 5MM allen wrench. it should take you an hour or so to put it all on.

Quick Reply: Mods for a Prairie 360?