Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New clutch pack and ways 2 stay cool

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch pack and ways 2 stay cool

I was just wondering if changing my clutch pack from the 2002 P650 to a 2004 P700 style would show any great gains in preformance or longer life for the belts. I only have about 400 miles on the bike and have tighten the belt up once so far and that does concern me a little.
Also after reading all the problems with overheating (mainly due to mud) does anyone have a good idea for keeping the rad. cleaner or cleaning it in the field? I was thinking about a 12V landscaping pump to flush it on those long and muddy trips??? Think it could work? Any better ideas?
Thanks

Old 04-09-2004, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

highlifter washer

See if this helps. I've also seen a pic of a guy on here who made "mudflaps" around this radiator. I don't remember what he used but some sort of thin plastic or rubber to prevent mud from splashing directly onto the radiator and clogging it. I also heard the new CDI will make your quad run cooler. We'll see soon!! Anyway, keeping it clean is #1, other than that there are a few small things that would really be minor in helping keep it cool. (heat fighter kits, etc)

Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

I have completely replaced my inner fenders with H.D. truck tarp material that just snaps in with stainless snaps... while a bit extreme, my goal is to keep the radiator completely clean this year... I've also replaced all of the stock screen & grill work with a much finer mesh stainless screen, removed my headlights, & created duct work to pull air from the headlight openings to the radiator...

OK, OK... stuff you guy's can really do...

CODE54... the 700 clutches & belt are all improved over the '02 650's... they will slide right in ( I run them on mine )

use that same truck tarp material to screw, poprivet or bolt on sections to better seal up splash,( both in front & behind the radiator ) as was listed by MEANGREEN...

on the '02 models, the lower radiator schroud is shorter, & doesn't fully protect the radiator in front, like the '03 & later quads... $10 - $20 upgrade...

the use of a module or CDI is said to make a huge difference in how much the fan runs...

you can wrap the front exhaust pipe with pipe wrap... this saves alot of heat from radiating to your engine & radiator...

you could replace the stock thermostat with one from a mule ( said to be 20* lower operating temp )...

add a product like Redlines Water Wetter, which helps the coolant better remove heat from you engine...

Use a product like Evans NPG +... Waterless coolant... said to work so well, that you can remove your fan, thermostat & coolant overflow bottle... ( I'm skeptical, but will be running it this summer... I think I leave my fan installed anyway, just incase )...Mickey from FST reccommends using this in his big bore kits... here is thier website for more info...
http://www.evanscooling.com/main31.htm

the absolute best radiator cleaner I've seen is the old air chuck / air powered water fire extinguishers... if you look around, you can usually find them for $20 - $30... I also have a little 1 gallon pump sprayer that is small enough to fit in a rack bag, just in case...