Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Jetting Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetting Question

Looking for some help on my jetting as I am not a great carb man. I have an 02 P650 with a NYROC mod - 8 3/8" holes, a K&N airfilter, EPI black secondary and EPI pink primary springs. When I did the muffler mod and changed the filter, I also changed plugs. The plugs were black(prior to the mod). I have not had a chance to get it out and ride to see wether the bike is running rich or lean, but I would imagine that I will need to richen it up due to the muffler mod, and I was going to do the NAPA hose upgrade as well. I was wondering now with the upgrades, will I have to change the jets and if so what ones? Do you change just the main jets or the pilot jets and the mains? I am not so sure I want the dial a jets either. I am mechanically inclined and can do the change, just dont know what to put in for the change. I live in NY now, but I am moving to Lancaster, PA in a month or so and I am not sure what the elevation really is there. Any help would be great as I would like to get the jets soon.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Range Rover
Default Jetting Question

you were already rich so you might not have to go much with a bigger jet. do a plug test by in a straight line floor your quad for about 300ft and up a hill preferably and while holding to the floor(throttle wide open) kill the ignition,(kill switch, key etc)and let it roll to a stop while still on the throttle, check your plugs(both) hopefully they will be a light tan. if black there rich(go down on the size of jet) if there white it is lean (go up on size of jet). tan means haul a--. hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Range Rover
Default Jetting Question

I would leave it the way it is....for now. Ride it for a couple of hours and then look at your plugs. If you plan on either an airbox change to an '03 style, DG snorkel or even both, you will probably have to go up one/two size(s) on the mains. Your pilots shouldn't require changing unless you are installing a full pipe and airbox modifications. Just turn the pilot screws 1/2 turn until the "carb popping" goes away. Put your hand on the intakes to "feel" which one is the culprit. Its mostly been the front cylinder for me.