Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BIG BORE~750s,785s, 800s ~ I want one! but is it for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG BORE~750s,785s, 800s ~ I want one! but is it for me?

With all this wonderful talk about 785's and Big Bore 800's its hard not to think, Maybe a Big Bore Prairie is the one to have? I don't wanna make any BIG changes yet, other then basic's Pipe, CDI, Etc. Can switch back to stock very easily and wanna run stock class when the gncc comes up to our neck of the woods, And have no real worries with how reliable my quad is. Being an ATV Addict and you know we can never have enough! I can almost taste the Power of a BIG BORE PRAIRIE, as my fore arms flex and I hold on for the Ride!! And could even see myself climbing the Monster coal hills that The R's and Shee's still rule on! or at least try~lol, Power through a burm, take the inside line and pass most! Hear my fellow Sport Quad Riders say, DAM I just got smoked by a 4x4!~lol. I have the NEED! Want the FEELIN! and the cash is no problem! BUT? I Question Reliability? FST & Mickey have a great reputation, And in NO WAY do I mean to put anyone down. Ive learned a lot on this form and feel there are a lot of good people on here! I just want to share my thoughts And Im sure you guys will share yours and I will learn more?~lol. I love to Ride, and try to ride almost every week. I also log a good bit of miles and ride in whatever the conditions are. I don't mind cleaning my air filter after every ride, changing my oil every few months, and even switching jets and exhausts around is no problem. but don't wanna do more then that, because Im not a mechanic. When it comes to Big Bore kits I read on the form there are some people adding more hoses to the air box? Not running a snorkel or No air box lid at all to get it to run right? I don't think I could ever run a totality opened air box, with the mud, water and coal dust of Pennsylvania and Maryland forget about it! Rain riding is also my favorite! And I don't go around puddles!~lol. Because of the extra mods that maybe needed is the Prairie big bore sensitive to weather conditions? temperature changing like extreme cold and heat?, changes in humidity etc. Don't some of these mods make it more venerable? I know a few with big bore kits and we never seem to see them in bad weather? Its seems like a lot of work to keep them running? and there ALWAYS tinkering with there quads? and/or down the road something got messed up somehow? and there making it bigger?~lol. Ive heard of a few problems, and maybe there from the builders not building them right or breaking them in right? But Ive never heard of any Long Term Results? And from what Ive seen on the form its the riders doing tractor style pulling, drag racing, or have race teams and are maybe? the once or twice a month rider or racers? I can see where they want the power to win! and every advantage is needed. But what about the guy that gets out there everyweek and rides? I would love to hear from someone with a few thousand miles on one? Also someone that has had one running for a year or longer and rides it a lot!? What extra mantance was needed if any? Is there a lot of tinkering? Does it need to be rebuilt every few years? Like an Addict I want the FIX! But I don't wanna be a slave to the quad and keep feeding it the green! Ive been there and done that with My R! Blew it up had to sink more money in it! etc etc. And look back thinking sometimes, maybe I should have just left it mostly stock? There was a big price to pay for power! I wanna get out there EVERY Chance I can and Ride! And don't wanna compromise reliability, Is the Big Bore Prairie for me? ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com

Prairie 700
TRX 250 R
V-FORCE - SOLD!!
And a Bunch of other Toyz!

Old 04-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

this is my opinion on some of your questions.

Wildwill on this forum has had a BB kit longer than anyone I know, not sure of his milage, but I haven't heard of any problems.

As far as reliability, If one of the premier motor builders in the world builds a kit, you've got to think it's reliabable. When you call FST. you talk to Mickey, not someone who work there. He does all his own work and has his ear to the ground. If you have a problem on your p700 you talk to the guy working for the dealer, with the BB kit you would talk to Mickey, you decide who would know more.

With that being said, it's a kit, it's only as good as the person who puts it in. It will give you lots more power, so there is a trade off, it will differently put a strain on things.

The only negitive with the kit is with your riding friends, they can only eat so much dust.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

I have over 20 hrs. and 500miles fast miles[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] on my big bore! I broke it in the first time by the book and was to lean on top and dropped a sleeve. I redecked both cylinders and put it back together and haven't had a problem since(KNOCK ON WOOD)!

My old setup with the 02 airbox and holes in the top ran richer with 175 and 180 mains. Now that I put on the 04 airbox with dual snorkel it is 160 and 165 mains, but now I really hall some A$$! What I am trying to tell you is you can keep the stock box if you want you just have to jet to your motors potential.

I like to trail ride and mud it with the best of them! I don't have any problems doing that either. Now the CDI makes it even run cooler, idle better and start easier! You can have the best of both worlds.

I know the extra HP puts some strain else where on the bike but you have to know your limit! Right ALLTOYS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

No guts no glory[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]