Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

high or low range wheelies ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high or low range wheelies ???

when i bought my 02 650p new it would wheelie in high range. i never did it that long (wheelie) because i didnt have enough room and i allways went past the balanceing point. i took it to the dealer for the 10 hour, 100 mile first service with in a week. i had a belt squak and it cough that would stall the motor, its been fixed since then. took then a month to get it wright. well i tryed to wheelie but it didnt have the gonads since then, but it didnt really bother me. now reading all the posts here, i would like to know what did they change, where did all of the low end go? how can i reverse what they did? i just tightend the belt about 2 weeks ago, added the epi black and 700p drive springs. i tryed to do this (wheelies) before that and even tryed them before i did the muffler, hose and jets. i had the jets bigger with the lid cracked and it would come up on its own. the way im set up wright now it wont do it.

are you guys doing wheelies in low range only or high?

napa #7335
145f/147.5r jets
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000
plow
cdi comming ( i hope this week)

Old 04-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Range Rover

Hey choop
Sounds to me like yer belt is just a little bit loose... check the deflection
My mildly modded 02 [ K&N , Dyno-jet , Big Gun , DG box and snorkel , flywheel key , EPI black and red ,
700 belt ] will wheelie with 27 inch blackwaters EASILY....
In low, high and even in reverse

Old 04-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

deeerchooper, did you have your winch put on at the same time as the first service? That 15 pounds in the front can be a wheelie killer.

Old 04-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

kawakasi
i had the 1.4 shim in. i installed the .08 and didnt noticed any squel so installed the .06 shim. i tryed the 13lb thumb pull and measured with mics, i seam to be in range. i will try to go smaller. i noticed that the belt is riding at the very top of 2ndary sheaves. any tighter it would be over the top. would that be normal?

novakaw650
i installed the winch a month or two after i got the big dog. i figured since i ride alone alot i thought i should get one, because i wont be able to get that tank out by myself without a winch.

napa #7335
145f/147.5r jets
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000
plow
dyna cdi (come on ups man)

Old 04-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry this is off topic but.. Kawakasi in your mods you list DG box and snorkle. What is this box, I have never heard of an after market air box for this beast. Is it that carbon fiber lid? Thanx

Old 04-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Range Rover

Choop
Sounds like yer within the limits...........I"ll keep pickin my brain...or maybe someone
else will come up with some ideas....

Swope
The [box] is the Diamond G Holeshot module
Sorry bout the misunderstanding

Old 04-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

here's the beef chief went out to the garage and tryed the .03 shim, no squell. it wheelied a little easyer. so i said well take it out , and tryed with no shims. it wheelied easyer than with the .03 shim. it does have a small squell sometimes, once awhile in gear at idle. i would just bump the throtle and it would go away. i seen someone liked it a little tight so i will try it and see what happens. it only takes me about 20 minutes to install the shim, so why not try it for a little bit. if the squell goes away then i will leave it, if not maybe i will install the .03 shim back in. the dyna cdi will take care of the wheelies when i get it ( some day now ).

i thank all of you for your input. maybe that winch is holding me back now.

wheelies in reverse i dont think i will try that, i thought i was going to rip the grips off when i was wheeling in forward , lol

napa #7335
145f/147.5r jets
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000
plow
dyna cdi ( ups man do you hear me, im the one whos going to go postal)

Old 04-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

Hey choop
I am running no shims in my 02
Belt squeals abit @ idle in gear...but I can live with that
Belt will last a very long time in that condition

Old 04-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

after I installed the winch on my p700, it was MUCH harder to get the front wheels up. Even after several small mods like k&n filter, snorkel, clutch springs, exhaust, it still wasn't snapping up like I was used to. After I installed the holeshot module, it made the most difference. From a dead stop you can't keep the front end down if you mash the throttle, but it still isn't easy to get up at speed. I enjoy being able to lift the front end over trail obstacles, I've even considered removing the winch. The winch just comes in so darn handy. I've seen mounts for the rear on other atvs I wonder if anyone knows of a rear mount for the prairie?

Old 04-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

grapeape

montana jacks sells a kit that allows you to put in the front and rear. its a reciever like you install on your truck, but you have 2 of them. they go for about $350 with everything you need. you can install other things as well.

hope this helps http://montanajacks.com

napa #7335
145f/147.5r jets
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000
plow
cdi soon

Quick Reply: high or low range wheelies ???