Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 360 sputtering problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 360 sputtering problems...

My 03 360 has problems sputtering on take off for about 5 to 10 seconds and then it runs fine till i shut the engine off for a few and go to take off again. Not sure what the problem is. I have cleaned the air filter, fuel filter and changed out the spark plug. I also tried adjusting the air fuel mixture screw half turn richer and it hasnt helped. I am not sure if it might be vapor lock or what. On a 40 mile ride it usually starts acting up half way through the ride to last till the end usually on take offs after starting the engine. I am at a loss here. If anyone has seen this or can help that be greatly appreciated...

Old 04-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

Check the valve clearances. They tend to go tight on the 360's and it causes all kinds of weird problems; the most common symptom is stalling when you come to a quick stop.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Trailblazer

Not sure what causes it but mine just started doing the same thing. It feels like it starves for fuel for a few seconds. only when its warm. only after sitting a few minits. only on take off. I was going to ask my buddies at the dealer. I'll check back to see if anybody has had this problem and have found a solution. Does yours not idle when warm? does yours have a knocking sound from the clutch when cold. Dealer fixed that for me under warranty.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Try adjusting your air/fuel mixture screw , worked for me

Old 04-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

I tried adjusting valve clearance.. That made no change in the bike.. I also tried adjusting air fuel mixture. That had no change either. There aint much i havent tried. I am leaning towards possible vapor lock, or perhaps float or jet adjustment in the carbs. As u can see i am at a loss. I ripped the entire fuel system and cleaned it from gas tank through the carbs. I even talked to local kawi dealership. He was scratchin his head same way i am scratchin mine..

Old 04-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

I forgot to mention mine runs great after the first 5 to 10 seconds after taking off from starting the machine. I can start it and it will idle fine, no knocking no nothing. Runs perfect till i give it gas to take off. Then it falls on its face for about 5 to 10 seconds then run like a scholded dog. It always begins about half way through my day usually.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

I feel your pain. My 360 does the same thing. Haven't solved the problem yet. Post back if you find the problem.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:36 AM
Trailblazer

Mine used to do this as well, my dealer as well had no clue as to what was wrong. Finally after alot of head scratching I decided to try a different type of gas. I switched from 87 octane gas from caseys and bought some 93 octane from a marathon that has made the problem dissappear. I don't know what the big deal about high or low octane would be on this machine as it isn't high performance at all, but it has since cured my problem and thats all that mattered to me.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Trailblazer

I tried different grades of gas and different stations. It almost acts like vapor lock after the bike gets good and heated up after a while. However i just dont know. Perhaps if i do try to take care of a possible vapor lock problem then i gotta figure out a way to keep some of the heat away from the fuel lines.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

I threw out all the old gas just for giggles and run different octane and brand... Still does the same thing...

Quick Reply: Prairie 360 sputtering problems...