Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Proper 4 stroke plug coloration

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper 4 stroke plug coloration

It sure seems there is a big grey area or lack of knowledge regarding proper coloration of 4stroke plugs. It would seem that some people around this forum think they are supposed to look like 2 stroke plugs, ideal being tan to light brown. I have a feeling a lot of ppl here are running around too rich. From the research I've done and techs i've talked to, our plugs should look like car engine plugs - just a shade darker than white. Check out ngk's website for a nice writeup in their tech section.

What do your plugs look like? I have 142/145r jetting, and mine are just a hair darker than white. No hesitation and hauls butt.

Old 04-24-2004, 01:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

that is how i run mine, and it seems to perform very well, but your right a lot of guys go for two stroke brown.

Old 04-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Some I think fail to distinguish the fact that lubrication is separate from air fuel mixture in 4 strokes, and regardless of lean/rich your quad will be lubricated. I know light plugs are SCARY in a 2 stroke !

Old 04-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

This is news to me......from the reading I've done on a couple forums, when the "V" or Prairie's are mentioned many guys are saying to look for the light brown color. Thanks for the info!!!!

Old 04-24-2004, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a good read -NGK SPARK PLUG TECH INFO

Old 04-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Bump for you brown plug lovers........ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

But your missing one thing. People hate to jet, its not something people like to do. Once its jetted they like to leave it alone and be happy. So if they go riding with their friends into some mountains or some dunes they will not have to rejet if they have brown plugs. If their plugs are just a shade darker than white they will have problems when going to the mountains or dunes.

The reason people prefer tan plugs is the broad elevations they can go without having to rejet, because rejetting is a pain in the ***.

Your probably right though, shade darker than white would be for people who like to jet and are racing. Average rider, tan.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

BBertram, nice thought, but you have it backwards....if you go to higher elevations such as mountains/dunes, your bike will run RICHER. Therefore the guys with darker plugs are sea level will have problems at higher elevations. My bike certainly ran richer up at hatfield mccoy, but my jetting allows for some change in elevation without having to rejet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2004, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thats right, but what if you live in Colorado and drive to the dunes, thats a big elevation difference. Maybe not dunes as I don't know how high they are compared to Colorado but some place low.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Well what if you ride on the moon and then switch to riding underground? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Riding areas aside, wherever you ride, a shade darker than white is ideal.

Quick Reply: Proper 4 stroke plug coloration